Leica An update on my rangefinder

okay, so i had the chance to purchase my first rangefinder for $150 which is an M4,1967 MODEL..along with a Elmarit 1: 2.8/90 lens. The camera has a couple of issues,when i cock it the shutter stays open,through all speeds,and only closes as i let off the weak shutter release button.Also it doesnt quite reset to 0 on the counter,any help would be greatly appreciated
IMG_20171221_120047[1].jpg
IMG_20171221_120108[1].jpg
IMG_20171221_120305[1].jpg

as I just realized this counter is different than on my Olympus, it actually sets two or three frames before zero and goes another Direction. so least that's taken care of.

This camera is about 50 years old. A "Clean-Lube-Adjust" will take care of the sticky shutter, any haze built up in the viewfinder, and set the operation back as smooth as it was 50 years ago. Youxin YE offers a CLA for a reasonable price. The camera, with the CLA, and the lens shown- would be worth at least $1200. The 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit is worth another $500 or more. Well worth the cost of the CLA.

and I read where he done really good work, but from my understanding there are two shutter curtains and only see one or am I missing something? ..I definitely want to start using a rangefinder and let my Olympus om-1 rest for a while

Post some pictures with with the lens off, shutter cocked to show the position of the curtains. Then release the shutter, and show what it looks like. The shutter curtains are very much like that of the OM-1. It could be that a curtain ribbon is off, or something else. I've had Youxin replace the shutter curtains on a Nicca and Leotax.

The shutter curtains are in need of repair. I would send it in to Youxin.

The 35/2.8 Summaron and 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit are worth many times what you paid. The camera- even for parts only, is worth twice what you paid.

"Conservation of Inconvenience", but I think the benefit of getting a first rate kit for $150+ repair cost far outweighs the inconvenience here.

and I know everyone here has more experience than me so don't believe that it's not being wasted. exactly how are two Shredder curtains supposed to look like on this body? I can see the one going from left to right looking at the front of the camera but that's all I can see, is there another groove or do they meet somewhere?

wait.. Are you saying I should put these up for sale in the marketplace?.. I see what you're saying ..that this camera is worth of Fortune even as it is. :)..How what you think I can get for it?

You would need someone to open the camera up to see why the curtain is not being pulled into place- couple be the straps used.

With lenses- condition of the glass is important, as is smooth operation of the mechanism. The camera- operation and cosmetic condition is important. From these pictures- the camera looks to be in "EX" condition, but hard to tell without examining it. In as is condition, needs repair, buyer taking a risk on condition of the camera and lenses- somewhere around $800 to $1200. In CLA'd, fully working and tested condition- this outfit is in the $2000 ballpark. I'd send it to Youxin for a quote on the repair and CLA of the camera and lenses.

SOLD! ..the lenses have no issues with them no cleaning marks as far as I can tell and in perfect working order no fungus or Haze. the lens is made in 1958 the telephoto in 1966

talking about repair,there is a man named Ken Toda, originally from japan, he charges 95 dollars for a cla and his favorite camera that he has used for 40 years is a Leica M4.he has professional credentials and a good reputation locally. He so it will only take a week to 10 days for a CLA

as far as the rest of the camera the lever for the frame lines is Snappy and the frame lines themselves are bright along with the rangefinder patch. a few specs as to be expected but no separation of the glass, nothing a Q-tip,some alcohol ,and some air would fix.

Ask the local repairman how much he would charge to repair the shutter- also have him look over the lenses.

Even if selling "As-Is"- having a professional look them over for the evaluation is worth it.

Back