Fuji And Fujifilm did nothing...

It takes photos fine but this is alarming to me as it will likely only get worse and then it will be too late for warranty work.

It's very sad to hear about your troubles with your x100. This is very poor service from Fuji, and (though it's no comfort to you, of course) very different from the service which I received from Fuji UK when my first x100 developed problems. I certainly agree about the need to get things sorted out before the warranty lapses... the riot act needs to be read to Fuji - very firmly. As others have suggested, you need to go up the management chain at Fuji, and bypass the 'disinterested' person with whom you've had to deal thus far.

Good luck - hopefully, Fuji will realise that they risk losing your future custom if they don't respond appropriately.

Do you have any piece of paper that came back with the camera that indicates that they actually looked at it?

Is it possible that your camera was sent back without anyone actually examining it? (I am hoping here that your current frustration is the result of some dumb-@ss clerical error, rather than technical incompetence or indifference.)

I would contact them again and say, "Look, this is not the way the camera behaved when I bought it; there has been no change, no improvement. Would you like to try again or do I need to escalate this problem?"

If they say, "Yes, please, let us try again," then let them try again.

If they say, "There is nothing we can do," then escalate the problem. Write to the president of Fuji in your area (Australia?) with copies to their local PR department. Tell them that you paid good money for the camera, that you like it very much when it is working properly, that it has suffered a failure, that the tech department has failed to fix, and that you want it either repaired or replaced promptly. Send certified letters with receipt verification and see what happens.

Cheers, Jock

I got a piece of paper back that said "Performed factory reset. Inspected function and performance." That's it. It cost 27$ to send it and I would bet less than five minutes was spent on it. United States. Their mfg is in New Jersey.

When my LCD went bad on the Canon, notably 3 days after warranty ended, while I could not get service for free they fully replaced it, cleaned the dust from the sensor and did a full inspection on the entire camera. I got my Fuji back in a dented, tape torn box with a finger smudge over the lens and in the On position like they didn't even turn it off before tugging power from it. Just.. sloppy.

I got a piece of paper back that said "Performed factory reset. Inspected function and performance." That's it. It cost 27$ to send it and I would bet less than five minutes was spent on it. United States. Their mfg is in New Jersey.

When my LCD went bad on the Canon, notably 3 days after warranty ended, while I could not get service for free they fully replaced it, cleaned the dust from the sensor and did a full inspection on the entire camera. I got my Fuji back in a dented, tape torn box with a finger smudge over the lens and in the On position like they didn't even turn it off before tugging power from it. Just.. sloppy.

I would contact this guy, whose name I got off a Fuji camera press release:

Matthew Schmidt
Fujifilm
914-789-8529
mschmidt@fujifilm.com

or even give him a call. Tell him you are a fan of Fuji, and you realize he is not the right guy, but could he steer you in the direction of someone who can make this right since tech support appears to have dropped the ball.

Cheers, Jock

So I called the local repair facility and as Fuji HQ said, they do not do repairs on the X100 series. However, I can still go in, have a technician look at the camera, get their opinion on whether they believe it is faulty which I am pretty sure it is, and use their assessment to contact Fuji and tell them that even one of their authorized repair agents said the camera isn't right--- NOW FIX IT. Overall I feel pretty helpless in this, the customer with no authority but I will persist because-- I have to. I'd heard so much good about them.. to be one that fell in the cracks.. it's just left a sour taste in my mouth for that company.

This is a definite degradation of my camera or I wouldn't have noticed. About a month in it began, I rode it out thinking maybe it was my adjustments, fiddled and it got no better. Called Fuji and reset it and then spent 27$ for Fuji to do the same thing. Tomorrow I am going to their more local repair facility and even though they can't repair the X100's I will get a professional opinion from them and then launch my fight. Love the camera but still thinking of selling it once it's fixed. I shouldn't have to strategize to get my camera repaired.

I would not sell it unless it was repaired nor would I deceive my buyer, I am not that kind of person, I would include all paperwork. Unfortunately, after having waited for the Fuji authorized tech to look at an X100 with SAB (mind you they don't fix the X series there but can at least ship to fuji on your behalf, with their cred backing it up) he looked at my S under dark clouds and of course two seconds seemed within parameters. Now to be fair, he was trying to be proxy for me because I had told him what happened with Fuji, however, the weather did not oblige. Two seconds under dark clouds, 5-7 in sunlight. We stood outside as he aimed at the brightest spot in the dreary sky (weather man said clear and sunny - weatherman wrong?!) and his best advice was to video the LCD on a sunny day (as proof) and then get on Fuji's .. yeah. So I am no closer, though the sun did laugh at me as it came out on my ride home. I'm thinking this is some kind of lesson I am learning stemming from my wanting a sparkly that I didn't "need". For desiring something other than what I had (and I am not a big GASer btw) I am being summarily punished. I guess I'll wait for the sun again.

I would not sell it unless it was repaired nor would I deceive my buyer, I am not that kind of person, I would include all paperwork. Unfortunately, after having waited for the Fuji authorized tech to look at an X100 with SAB (mind you they don't fix the X series there but can at least ship to fuji on your behalf, with their cred backing it up) he looked at my S under dark clouds and of course two seconds seemed within parameters. Now to be fair, he was trying to be proxy for me because I had told him what happened with Fuji, however, the weather did not oblige. Two seconds under dark clouds, 5-7 in sunlight. We stood outside as he aimed at the brightest spot in the dreary sky (weather man said clear and sunny - weatherman wrong?!) and his best advice was to video the LCD on a sunny day (as proof) and then get on Fuji's .. yeah. So I am no closer, though the sun did laugh at me as it came out on my ride home. I'm thinking this is some kind of lesson I am learning stemming from my wanting a sparkly that I didn't "need". For desiring something other than what I had (and I am not a big GASer btw) I am being summarily punished. I guess I'll wait for the sun again.

I'm so sorry ... I can feel your frustration.

Today it is sunny. About two seconds delay, it is still morning though. I did find a thread on the FujiX Forum and other members have noticed their cameras acting similarly. I posted my comment and got a response. I don't recall my camera doing it before. At any rate I will continue to be vigilant and if I can catch it on video with a long hang time I'll post it. Then others can actually see and tell me if their cameras behave the same. Photo quality is still excellent, it's just not what I would call fast-on. Thanks all for your responses.

I had this happen once. When I turned on my camera the screen was white and the red light on the back of the camera was lit up like it was writing to the card. It seemed stuck. I turned the camera off and back on and it hasn't done it again.

Sorry to hear about the bad experience :(

I brought my X100S on vacation to Maui and I noticed a definite white-out of the screen when I would first turn on the camera in bright (noon day) sunlight. I was reminded of your issues with the white-out in bright sunlight and wondered what ever happened with that. In my case though it clears up after a second or once you hit the shutter button to force an auto-exposure reading. Definitely doesn't stay stuck like that for 7 seconds or anything like that.

Anyway, hope you get this all sorted out one way or another, and bummed on your behalf that you've had to deal with a frustrating repair/return cycle to no avail.

I'm late to this conversation, and with an example from a different camera, too. But my Fuji X10 and X100 have the annoying habit of massively overexposing when first turned on, especially in bright sunlight. It takes the X10 a few seconds to adjust, but the X100 adjusts a bit faster. It's not as bad as the 5-7 seconds that you have been experiencing, however.

The 5-7 seconds seemed to have shortened to about 2.5 tops now. Seems to be what others have experienced on Fuji Forum as well as here. At least it's not the long lag it was. Or maybe it just hasn't been as bright. And as jloden said above, if you hit the shutter button that time near cuts in half. Just thought I would update this. Photographed the hubby's XMas party and everyone was pleased with the results. :)

Back