Pentax And now for something completely different. (From me, anyway)

So many apps, so depletes the pocketbook if one is not careful! Thank you, Sue!

Indeed. I have spent over $800 on the app store, and about $100 in itunes (thats over 3 years, but still!!)

Looks like a clear night tonight, so if its not too cold tonight I'm going to head out again, different lens, and maybe a different location. I want to get the milky way again but perhaps with some silhouettes for perspective, and the Southern Cross without the galactic "noise".

Thanks Mal :)

Here's one from tonight. As I had earlier decided, I shot with the FA43 instead. The milky way fills the frame, just about, so I am thinking perhaps the wider angle of the DA15 is better., just need to speed up the shutter somehow. Tonight I remembered to use a timer, and I think this shot is a little better. It was too cold to be mucking about with lens changes, I'm fumblefingered at the best of times and could see a disaster looming if I tried, so nothing more from tonight, except maybe I'll process the Southern Cross ones tomorrow and see what happens. I think this is probably the best of the bunch, and it *is* heavily processed in ACR.

View attachment 39440

Settings
Exposure 6
Aperture f/2.0
Focal Length 43 mm
ISO Speed 1600
Exposure Bias 0 EV

Kyteflyer, excelent shots.

What settings did you use on the camera?

The three far right bright stars in the frame are the tail of Scorpious. The bright cluster to the left of these is Messier 7, and the smaller one above it is Messier 6. Both beautiful in the telesceope. Messier 6 is sometimes called the butterfly cluster because in the telescope, the star cluster looks like a butterfly. As I move from bottom right to upper left, the yellow/orange area is just dust/gas of the Milky way. Almost dead middle, which looks like purple stars, is actually the Lagoon nebula. Above and slightly left of the lagoon nebula is the triffid nebula. Hard to see with the naked eye unless in a really dark place. Moving up and left from the middle, the Sagittarius star cloud is visible. Up and to the right of the star cloud, a small cluster is seen in the frame, and that is Messier 23. The small bright pink area up and to the left of the star cloud is the Omega/Swan nebula. The last notable item as we move to the upper left and is a faint pink patch is the Eagle Nebula.

Kyteflyer, excelent shots.

What settings did you use on the camera?

Thank you so much for your kind remarks. I've added the settings to the last shot, and the next. I'll do the same for the others as well.
Thanks also for your astronomical (in more ways than one!) information about what we can see there. I was looking at that nebula and thinking to myself that I really really want to get a decent telescope. I have always been interesting in astrophotography but until I once got some stars quite clearly in a shot I wasn't intending for them, I did not realise I could do it with the gear I have. To get those close shots of nebulae and planets though... thats going to require a good telescope, and the gear to go with it. OR I could take myself out west to the Warrumbungle Observatory where the owner lets you book in and take shots with his 20". sighhh.

In the meantime, I've wondered about taking on some of the more visible objects with a longer lens. The best I can do is an old 200mm f/3.5 manual lens, left over from my Minolta days, with an adapter which has glass in it which will slightly increase the focal length... or a mediocre 50-200. What do you think?

Back