Fuji And so the family grows...

Lightmancer

Legend
Name
Bill Palmer
The nice post lady knocked on my door today and presented me with a parcel... inside was a mint X100 black, with all the bits. The previous owner bought new at the end of last year and hasn't got on with it (or possibly, it would seem, used it at all...) :cool: Now, as you can imagine I am a happy and impatient bunny, keen to get out there and start enjoying over the coming Easter break - but... Questions for the cognoscenti - how essential is the hood/filter? I am happy to fit, but it makes it less pocketable. Is the lens flare-prone?

Answers on a postcard, please. :D

Congrats on the new addition, I am sure you will love it and hope to see some pics from it soon. I don't have an X100 but do have an XP1 and X20. I use the hood on the XP1 but never on the ax20, namely bc of the portability issue. The XP1 is on my neck or in a bag anyway but I like being able to have the X20 in my messenger or even stuffed in the back pocket of my jeans (shutter button side down and with the lens sticking above the the pocket line...surprisingly secure fit if you're not jostling around like crazy). I rarely have flare issues on the X20 with my B+W UV filter on and I believe that same EBC coating is common on all X-cameras so I'd give it a go naked for a while and see for yourself after a couple hundred shots :)

Bill, I never use the hood. I get flare on occasion shooting into the sun, but I also like shots with "character" so it doesn't bother me. The hood also protrudes quite a bit into the optical finder which I enjoy using, so that's another strike against it. Maybe you could just carry it along in your other pocket until you decide for your own needs which way you prefer.

Enjoy your new X100!

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the X100 club, it is a superb camera that I am sure you will be delighted with! It does require some thought in use though as it is not the fastest to focus but still not slow since the firmware updates so I would certainly check you have the latest firmware.

I personally always have the lens shade on as well as a UV camera for the sole reason that being a fixed lens camera, and damage to the lens will render the camera useless at worst /expensive to repair at best so avoidance is better than cure!

In this colder weather when I am out doing street work with it I do have it on a long strap over my right shoulder ande it sits by my left side and even with the hood on it does not protrude or make the coat too tight yet can be easily pulled to the eye to shoot.

I feel sure you will be delighted with the camera and the results it delivers and if you are interested, you can see some of my X100 images here:

571 Photography: Fuji X100 - A product of beauty and substance

Enjoy the camera and I look forward to seeing the results on here soon.

Congratulations! It will be good to see some x100 shots of Easter (good that tere's Easter in the other galaxy too ;-) ).
Have fun with the camera.

Congrats, I have and use the hood but, in all honesty it's more for looks and protection. In all my years of shooting I haven't found a hood to really help with flare. Shoot into the sun you'll get flare which is ok. At an oblique angle I'd say almost all modern lenses will not show any significant flare if any at all. Third party adapters and hoods are pretty cheap. So, if you want to try and discard it, it won't hurt too much. Enjoy.

Joe

Congrats on receiving your black beauty..I always used the hood when I had my X100, more for protection than anything else. Never worried about keeping it in my coat pocket as I always wanted it to hand and ready to shoot. Enjoy!

Lucky you!

I have the lens hood but don't use it that much. I will say it is handy to have if you're walking around in bright sunlight and it does give some extra protection if you're in a crowded space. I, like Ian, also have a UV filter.

I bet you'll become good friends with Madame X, Bill.

Congrats Bill! I'm waiting for your 500 shots we can all critique mercilessly. :)

(Of course I'm woefully short of that with the X20 so far. :laugh1: )

Nice photos! As far as a hood goes, you could just use the lens adapter ring to shade the front element a small amount (as well as allowing you to mount filters if needed), as the ring doesn't add nearly the bulk that the hood does. Of course with either the ring or the hood you can't use the beautiful slip on lens cap.

I got the JRR lens hood and used it a lot, but the sun can be extremely strong here in the desert southwest and lens flare caused by raking late afternoon light can cause flare. I had a B&W UV filter on the lens, and only used the hood when I felt it was called for.

Back