Android Tabs...

Djarum

All-Pro
Name
Jason
My girlfriend works for a cell company and borrowed one of the new Motorola tabs. It was really nice, but rather expensive even with the contract. At any rate, I'm not really looking for one for photography, but just for browsing and ease of use versus a full up laptop. Even the wifi only version of this tab is almost 600 bucks USD, and that is pricey to me.

I noticed a few weeks ago engadget or maybe cnet had some write ups on both the new ACER and ASUS android tabs. The specs look similar to the motorola tab other than that they probably have a different "skin" to their android software. The ASUS even has the option down the road to dock the tab and hook it to a keyboard.

Has onyone got any thoughts on some of the new Android tabs? Not sure if I want to part with the money(Hey, for that kind of money I can get an E-PL2!) if they aren't performing.

Hi Dj, so glad to see you back online. I have two Android tabs - a rooted Nook Color and a Motorola Xoom. I like both of them, especially the Xoom which is much snappier in performance than the Nook Color, and can easily recommend Android as a a tablet OS for someone primarily interested in web content.

I'm not specifically familiar with the Acer and Asus tablets, but if they run Android 3 (Honeycomb), have similar horsepower to the Xoom, and have good battery life, then the one major thing remaining is to see if they have access to the Android Market. The Nook Color doesn't, which is why I had to get root access in order to put apps on it. If there's any Google branding on the device itself, then it should have access to the Market.

Amin

So you have a xoom? That's the one I played with. I really don't need the data plan with it. I believe they do have access to the market but ill have to look at the reviews to find out. Thanks for the info.

Toshiba LG HTC Samsung.

Take your pick.

I have a soft spot for Samsung - never yet had a bad experience with a Samsung product - but right now I like the look of the Toshiba. It has all the browsing and media consumption features you need but it also has a lot of good hardware connectivity built in. Price in Japan on launch a few weeks ago was around $700 but expect less than that in the US.

With so many Android tablets starting to appear and scheduled for the next 3-6 months you should have plenty of options. The competition should also help keep prices down and specs up.

I work for provider as well. I got the Dell Streak 7. It is fast and light. Prefer the 7" form factor much easier to carry with and still give a superb browsing experience.
One thing that truly sold me on it was that I can use SD card in it; it move the card from my cameras to the tablet and then can process and upload straight to flickr.
Almost as convenient as my N8!

I use both iPad and Acer Iconia Tab A500 (10-inch Honeycomb-based tablet with specs identical to Motorola Xoom). Being an Apple fanboy, I hate to admit it, but Honeycomb is much better for an internet-device. However, iPad is much faster and has way more apps. Right now, my iPad gets more use, but it may change when Honeycomb catches up in terms of available applications.

thanks for the info. I played with the Iconia and it feels like it would do what I need. BB does not have the ASUS in stores yet. He said they should be getting one soon. I like the dockable keyboard feature.

Archos 70

Seriously look at the Archos 70 ARCHOS

7" screen, (my personal preference), and does everything I need it to do. Does not come with a service contract or through a major carrier, but can be tethered to your smart phone or WiFi connection.

Retails for $300-$400, but I picked mine up new on Ebay for $125.00 and absolutly love it. initially it does not have access to the main Android market, but a simple download fixes that. I recently used it on a four hour flight to watch a movie and read a bit.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is scheduled to appear on June 8 at $499 for 16GB and $599 for 32GB. The 8.9 will appear a little later - 'early this summer' - at $469 and $569.

Seriously look at the Archos 70 ARCHOS

7" screen, (my personal preference), and does everything I need it to do. Does not come with a service contract or through a major carrier, but can be tethered to your smart phone or WiFi connection.

Retails for $300-$400, but I picked mine up new on Ebay for $125.00 and absolutly love it. initially it does not have access to the main Android market, but a simple download fixes that. I recently used it on a four hour flight to watch a movie and read a bit.

I think I want something a little bigger. I'm also not terribly happy with Froyo android versions. Not bad for a small dell streak competitor.

I thought so to

I think I want something a little bigger. I'm also not terribly happy with Froyo android versions. Not bad for a small dell streak competitor.

I thought the bigger the better too until I played with a 7" that my brother bought. It just fits into my hands better and can be one handed easily. I use mine for book reading and it is a much better size for me. They just recently released a 10" version if you just have to have one that big. https://store.archos.com/archos-internet-tablet-p-5005.html

I have a top of the line Android phone as well and the Archos does everything the phone does.

Plus as I mentioned it can be had for under $200.00 with no requirement to be on a network. :)

Back