Animals "Animals"

My girlfriend and I were out having a barbeque in my backyard when I spotted this little opossum. My girlfriend grabbed it and we searched and waited for it's mother to return, but no luck. Called a bunch of animal rescue places but they were either no help or too full to help out. It's so small we're afraid the neighborhood cats will get it so we're going to keep it until it's big enough to fend off the cats. It loves to climb on her head and hide under her ponytail.
7154186662_2cb2b0bf43.jpg

DSCF0917 by Winginkris, on Flickr
7154188048_b6854703d3.jpg

DSCF0921 by Winginkris, on Flickr
7154189280_4c9d590292.jpg

DSCF0924 by Winginkris, on Flickr
7154193070_16e4f7f6e9.jpg

DSCF0930 by Winginkris, on Flickr

1201031045_ws7tw-O-1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Cook

These shots were taken in 2010, just (about 100m) across the border in Belgium. As I walked over a small hilltop, I spotted this wild roe deer from a distance, grazing on the long grass you see behind it, but my lowly Nikon L16 didn't stand a chance of getting a close up shot, even after cropping.

DSCN3152resize.jpg

So I spent the next 25 minutes trying to get closer, making sure I was approaching it facing the wind direction, each time taking a slow, tiny step and standing motionless while the nervous deer was checking me out until it decided there was no danger and it continued grazing. As soon as I took a step it looked in my direction again, and that process repeated itself about a hundred times. But worse than the slow movement was keeping my camera aimed at it, finger on the shutter button, ready to shoot, for almost half an hour, my arm and hand muscles were starting to get really tired! When I got to about 8 - 10 metres from it, the deer decided it was time to leave, and walked into the forest while keeping an eye on me.

DSCN3176resize.JPG

I really like this image, a bit of Gestalt, often it is had to make Gestalt works well ... this image works well. (Just wondering, did you previsualize this as a high-key image, then expose and/or process with to your mental image?)

Gary

I really like this image, a bit of Gestalt, often it is had to make Gestalt works well ... this image works well. (Just wondering, did you previsualize this as a high-key image, then expose and/or process with to your mental image?)

Gary

It was totally a post processing idea. Once I went through the images I knew I needed to pull the whites up a bit, that combined with an f stop of 1.4 washed out the cat's lower legs and white counter he was walking on. From that point it seemed obvious to try for a 3 color result where the whites were pushed a bit further out and this is the result.

It was by accident and by luck.

Back