Fuji Another 4/3 convert

drocco

Name
Oliver
Hi to all,

Like Flipmack in the thread below, I am another convert from the m4/3 side of photography. I got my hands on a X-T1, was excited by the image quality and the handling of the camera. So I sold all my gear (had too much anyway) and am now a happy owner of a Fuji camera with just a couple of lenses. (Everything fits into one bag, I can't remember the last time I had that situation).

Anyway, I am looking forward to this forum and still have lots to learn.

Welcome! I don't think I'll ever leave m43 entirely - the potential of the system for a very compact kit, especially with longer focal lengths and collapsible zooms, coupled with IBIS is too convenient, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer the Fuji image quality (particularly the JPEGS). Horses for courses.

I'm a pretty committed u43 guy, but I recently bought a very cheap X-E1 and a 35/1.4. I'm very impressed with the Fuji image quality, especially the skin tones (shooting raw with LR6 PP). Noise at ISO 1600 is better than my E-M1 too - but the differences aren't huge, especially if I apply a careful combo of NR, sharpening and masking to the u43 images.

I know that the X-E1 is an old Fuji camera and the newer cameras are a lot better, but u43 cameras are extremely fast in AF and operation compared to even latest gen Fuji equivalents and they are stacked with very useful features (IBIS, focus stacking, live composite/time, HDR etc). Overall, I prefer the features and overall usability of u43 gear, even though the Fuji has a very satisfying "gestalt" to its handling.

Lenses wise, the u43 range is vast of course, but the Fuji range is now very complete and I'm sure I could build a system that did all I wanted it to and if the IQ is even close to the 35/1.4 (which I read it generally is), then I wouldn't be wanting. Size wise, the Fuji gear is slightly bigger but not excessively so. I could live with it.

So... net, net - if I were starting again I might go Fuji, but it's not so much better that I want to do a system switch (esp with the E-M1ii due soon). However, I'm liking the X-E1 and 35/1.4 a lot so I think I'll keep it as my primary "people camera" - which is more than can be said for the A7Rii I bought and sold again within a few weeks!

Thanks for the warm welcome. For me, the switch to Fuji was a good opportunity to free myself from the massive amount of m4/3 gear I had aquired over the last years. It was becoming a burden. The great IQ also helps, so I don't miss anything so far.

Back