Fuji Another hello from Southeast Michigan

JohnS

Hello, I noticed a few intros from SE Michigan while quickly scrolling down the forum, and quite a few converts from m43 as well. I am both.

In the past, I have primarily used Nikon DSLRs, while also briefly dabbling in early Sony and Samsung(!) mirrorless systems. For the past year, I have used an Olympus E-M5 II as my main body, but started to find it lacking in some areas (mainly low light performance and autofocus tracking).

I started to question whether I wanted to keep putting money into the m43 system as a whole, and that led me to Fujifilm. The only thing I thought I would miss was IBIS, and when I saw the X-H1 come out, I was sold on Fuji as a system.

Thinking I needed IBIS, I figured I would pick up an X-T20 as a temporary camera while I waited for the X-H1 to come down in price (or see if the X-T3 actually has it), and meanwhile invest in some good Fujinon glass.

Well, it turns out I don't miss IBIS as much as I thought, especially with the improved low-light performance in the X-T20. I'm really starting to love shooting with this camera.

Welcome aboard.

Sounds like you might save yourself a lot of money on a body which you can put into glass. The Fuji lens system has matured nicely while still growing very well.

Indeed! I see nothing lacking in the lens system for the focal lengths I typically shoot at.

And I was afraid the X-T20 would be too small, so I bought the Meike grip. That combo is just about perfect, and I can see myself hanging onto this body for a long time now.

Welcome, sir. I've never had IBIS, so of course I'm not jealous of the XH1. That's probably for the best...

Haha, that's true. I'm not missing it as much as I thought I would... a lot of my shots are trying to capture my fidgety kids, so IBIS does nothing there.

It has come in handy for me when trying to shoot the interiors of dimly lit buildings without a tripod, and shooting heavy old adapted telephoto lenses, but honestly those situations don't really come up that often.

Back