Another speculation thread: Digital IS.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
We have seen digital IS for video. The camera still has gyroscopes but doesn't move anything and just records the gyroscopes' data. The correction is applied by software. A lot less power used but it obviously needs to apply a crop since the shaking image must be contained by the stationary sensor.. I noticed that the A7Siii has this with a crop factor of only 1.13. Of course, you could just make slightly larger sensors. Do you think this will ever be a practical alternative to IBIS that moves the sensor for stills?

If topaz does this, why not?

Again it might be correcting the small blur, but then mechanical ones are also initially were good for smaller shake and got better....

If topaz does this, why not?

Again it might be correcting the small blur, but then mechanical ones are also initially were good for smaller shake and got better....
With the gyroscopic information, the software would know what to do. The big question is whether the loss of some sensor area is compensated by bodies being smaller and less power-hungry.

i would think digital IS is only 2 axis. Whereas the 5 axis (or even 3 axis) ibis accounts for a change in angle (pitch/yaw) that a 2 axis digital ibis wouldn't. While it's great in reducing camera shake in video, it's not really compensating for changes in pitch/yaw that a proper floating sensor would. Still.. Even shifting the sensor along 2 axis up a fraction might elimininate motion blurr that digitial IS would register with motion blur.... depending on shutter speed and how much the sensor can move. Pure conjecture on my part though....

I suppose in theory if you have 3D gyroscopic data and a few accelerometers for the translation motion of the phone and enough processing power to crunch it all, you could correct using only software. All of which Apple will probably do first for iPhones. 🍎

Back