Another unknown insect that I found in my back yard

Rhino123

Veteran
Name
Tiew Chong Yi
Good evening,

I have taken into taking more macro shot recently and is wildly interested in the different insects that are in my backyard in Singapore.

Just today, I found another one that I have never seen before.

14263731975_f6b0fd89e6_b.jpg

14263345984_288e90de26_b.jpg

This insect was really small (around 5mm) and it camouflage really will with the ground, found it at the base of a starfruit tree, on the ground. If it didn't move, I wouldn't have notice it.

Would appreciate it if anyone could help me identify the creature or at least point to the general species it belongs to.

Thanks a million.

Tiew, can I suggest that you do an internet search for natural history societies in Singapore, they should be in a much better position to help you with your identification queries. If you thought there were a lot of moths in the world, just wait until you find out how many insects there are!

Barrie

Tiew, can I suggest that you do an internet search for natural history societies in Singapore, they should be in a much better position to help you with your identification queries. If you thought there were a lot of moths in the world, just wait until you find out how many insects there are!

Barrie

The problem here is... I don't think there are a lot of natural history societies in Singapore. I was looking around keywords like Insect Identification in Singapore, and found none.

The Natural History Society of Singapore has to be your best starting point http://www.nss.org.sg/

Most people who study insects tend to concentrate on particular families or regions, by which I mean sub divisions of countries. Given the mind boggling numbers of insects in the world no one person covers the whole world!

Barrie

Damn! How did I missed that. Thanks a million Barrie. I am going to drop them an email soon.

Tiew, another thought springs to mind, on the m4/3 site there is a member in Singapore who is keen on natural history and has posted many bird and insect pictures from that part of the world, he might be a good contact point, user name ricseet
Upgrade system login | XenForo

Barrie

Ah... thanks again Barrie.

You could write a book on your yard!

We could write a book on all backyards. Actually, if we keep a keen eye... there are bound to have strange and wonderful creatures all over the place. Really.

Thanks guys. I found the species of this creature.

Pygmy Grasshopper (Tetrigidae). I was thinking (from the structure of the legs) this creature should be a grasshopper. So I looked into google with the wording (Fat Camouflage Grasshopper) and this name came up. Looked into it and found it to look alike the insect I found in my backyard.

Thanks again guys for your help and advise.

Back