Canon Any Canon RP users here?

The JohnM roadmap....

I have the RF35 1.8 and like it.
An adapter and an 85 1.8 arriving today.
50 1.8 stm is here and a near future 40. Adapted EF lenses are so affordable - a blessing and curse.
I have the F7.1 :cautious: 24-105. It serves as my wide and studio lens. Nicely sized(FF terms) and seems like a good performer.

I plan on replacing the F1.8 with the RF 85 F2 when it arrives in the fall.
Maybe a cheap ultra wide down the line. 17-40L?

Canon prices are really good. It's crazy how they filled up their RF line-up so quick. Nikon hasn't even released their 70-200mm S yet!

I picked up a used Nikon FTZ adapter despite owning Sony right now. I bought it just in case I come across a good priced Z6 or upcoming Z5! :D

The JohnM roadmap....

I have the RF35 1.8 and like it.
An adapter and an 85 1.8 arriving today.
50 1.8 stm is here and a near future 40. Adapted EF lenses are so affordable - a blessing and curse.
I have the F7.1 :cautious: 24-105. It serves as my wide and studio lens. Nicely sized(FF terms) and seems like a good performer.

I plan on replacing the F1.8 with the RF 85 F2 when it arrives in the fall.
Maybe a cheap ultra wide down the line. 17-40L?

the 35 is gorgeous.

also, I feel like the canon is just built really well, including the lens and camera body surface. canons tend to last a long time.

I’m sitting on the 35 and 24-240, but am interested in the 85. Not sure what else

but the 35 is very, very nice and fun

what do you think of the kit 24-105? The 24-240 is very heavy, but the range is excellent. I’m considering the 24-105/7.1. Please share some pics when you can

the 35 is gorgeous.

also, I feel like the canon is just built really well, including the lens and camera body surface. canons tend to last a long time.

I’m sitting on the 35 and 24-240, but am interested in the 85. Not sure what else

but the 35 is very, very nice and fun

what do you think of the kit 24-105? The 24-240 is very heavy, but the range is excellent. I’m considering the 24-105/7.1. Please share some pics when you can

I love the surface texture too. Feels and looks nice and should hide rubs pretty well.
I haven't played with the 24-105 much yet but so far IS and AF seem good. I haven't really checked the corners but sharpness seems very good in the central region.
Will post thoughts and images this weekend.

Last edited:
The RF 35 1.8 looks like a great lens offering three traits seldom found together - compact, high IQ, and inexpensive. Add quasi-macro capabilities and it looks like a must have for the RF mount.

The only real negative is that it doesn’t have internal focusing.

I took a few with the 24-105 after work last night around the shop.
Quick analysis.
Handling is very nice. Zoom ring turn is not premium smooth but doesn't feel cheap either. No barrel wobble. Nice finish. It's pretty lightweight so balance feels good. Focal range is good for me. Actually feels a lot like my old G85 and 12-60 3.5.

In regards to output, I would say nothing really stands out and nothing gets in the way.
At the moment there is not a proper lens profile in C1 and DxO.
At the wide end, barrel distortion is quite barrelly and there is some dark vignetting in the extreme corners.
DxO with the 24-105 3.5-5.6 profile works pretty well with the vignette but not the distortion.
C1 needs manual correction for both.
At the mid/long images look nice and I don't think they will require a correction profile.

Jpegs are corrected obviously. And speaking of jpegs, I really like them.
First is an ooc jpeg, the next are raws processed in C1.
24-105.samples.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Note the dark corner tips and barrel distortion in the following..
24-105.samples 1.jpg
24-105.samples 2.jpg
24-105.samples 3.jpg
And one at 105mm and F7.1. Probably need to switch to the 85 for this type of shot. I like the reds.
24-105.samples 5.jpg

An odd unfeature that I uncovered today.
The lack of the ability to choose between EFCS and mechanical shutter.

Not a deal breaker but it does mean that I have to be more careful about the 1/180 max sync speed and using HSS. EFCS with HSS can show banding in certain situations - usually in 1/1000 or higher on images like a white or neutral background. And a very narrow band of over exposure on the top part of the image.

To be honest I would've likely passed on the RP had I known this.
But I'm glad I didn't because I really like all the rest of it.

An odd unfeature that I uncovered today.
The lack of the ability to choose between EFCS and mechanical shutter.

Not a deal breaker but it does mean that I have to be more careful about the 1/180 max sync speed and using HSS. EFCS with HSS can show banding in certain situations - usually in 1/1000 or higher on images like a white or neutral background. And a very narrow band of over exposure on the top part of the image.

To be honest I would've likely passed on the RP had I known this.
But I'm glad I didn't because I really like all the rest of it.

For some reason the RP doesn’t exactly work the way I want or expect it to. There’s always some little thing off. I felt like Panasonic (who needed market share) was evolving its cameras to meet user expectations and canon (the #1) is more like - “this is the way we do it. Adapt!”

Last edited:
I would love any help on these things, as due to the below issues (which is a copy from a post I have on a different forum) I am considering selling the RP, but would love any input if I’m wrong on any of this...

1. I was all over this last night and this morning, and have concluded that it does not have an AF + MF mode. You have to go into a menu - not the Q menu control panel, but an actual menu- or assign a fun button, th change from AF to MF. Additionally, while it has focus peaking (once you put it into MF mode), the peaking colors are NOT available when you are in magnification mode, which is a PITA. It's great to have peaking on the overall image, but I don't have full confidence that I'm focused on the critical spot. I prefer peaking in the magnified view.

Which leads me to think this is really going to be a "trust the AF mode" camera for me (which takes me back to my DSLR days), as I don't see the point to the double-back-flips to go into MF, only to not really be sure. So...this reduces my trust in it for my wildflowers and still life shooting. We'll see. (My G85 has more dots and a higher effective EVF magnification, as well as peaking in the magnification mode. It's a sweet little setup).

I have the * programmed to focus zoom.
It works well for me as I use AF-ON for AF so my thumb naturally settles very close.
It's one for zoom, two for zoom-er and three out. Can be done pretty quickly.

I ended up selling my RP kit today. I enjoyed the output, but not the shooting experience. Sounds like it’s working for you though! Enjoy!

I ended up selling my RP kit today. I enjoyed the output, but not the shooting experience. Sounds like it’s working for you though! Enjoy!
Thanks for taking us through is your experiences. I was wondering whether it was a better solution for me than the 6D Mark II. I don’t think it is. I can just sit still while the price of that camera continues to drop.

Nearly bought one today. Except the salesman, although letting me handle it, wouldn’t let me progress before going on and in about the R model which he was trying to sell to me, it’s almost as if he was banning me from buying the RP. So I left. Probably a good thing as, on reflection, although it feels wonderful in the hand, it’s only really suited to tiny lenses (I don’t fancy using an 85 and having to balance the 85 rather than the camera to take the shot). Plus I know what I’m like, they’d be a series of upgrades till till I eventually end up buying the R5.

Nearly bought one today. Except the salesman, although letting me handle it, wouldn’t let me progress before going on and in about the R model which he was trying to sell to me, it’s almost as if he was banning me from buying the RP. So I left. Probably a good thing as, on reflection, although it feels wonderful in the hand, it’s only really suited to tiny lenses (I don’t fancy using an 85 and having to balance the 85 rather than the camera to take the shot). Plus I know what I’m like, they’d be a series of upgrades till till I eventually end up buying the R5.

I think you just need a smaller 85, the extension grip and a different salesperson. 😁

I think you just need a smaller 85, the extension grip and a different salesperson. 😁
I imagine they might be a bit desperate to sell the R. The R6 is the body most really want. The R is a nicer body than the RP but it can’t really do much more. I notice that B&H is still listing it with IBIS, which it doesn’t have.

I imagine they might be a bit desperate to sell the R. The R6 is the body most really want. The R is a nicer body than the RP but it can’t really do much more. I notice that B&H is still listing it with IBIS, which it doesn’t have.
That was exactly the case. The salesman tried to persuade me to view the RP as a 6D and the R as a 5D mark iv. After all that nonsense, my thoughts turned to the higher up models (R6/R5) with a view to perhaps purchasing one of them far into the future. But my initial thought about the RP still stands. I have a load of classic lenses waiting to be adapted and would like to buy some more - I'm currently without a body to use them and perhaps the RP could be it.

Last edited:
Back