Fuji Any chance X-M1 is a Monochrome Fuji?

ShawnG

Regular
Still collecting my spare change in hopes of ordering the X20 soon, but just had to ask. I've seen that the X-M1 is most likely an entry or mid-level camera, but I suppose it's okay to dream big...

I'd bet a lot of money that's NOT what it is. I'm guessing X-Trans based ILC with no viewfinder, but maybe a removable EVF option. Maybe smaller, maybe lesser controls. Sort of an EPM2 of the Fuji lineup? Maybe even a lesser sensor, but I don't see much sense in that...

-Ray

An M mount with the X100 rangefinder patch based on the X-E with the build of the X Pro. If the rangefinder patch works well it will be attractive to people who want to use MF lenses.

I'd bet a lot of money that's NOT what it is. I'm guessing X-Trans based ILC with no viewfinder, but maybe a removable EVF option. Maybe smaller, maybe lesser controls. Sort of an EPM2 of the Fuji lineup? Maybe even a lesser sensor, but I don't see much sense in that...

-Ray

Everything but that last bit would be nice, although I'd be thinking more akin to a Panasonic GX1 than the relatively spartan exterior of the E-PM2.

-Ray

With the sensor size, and assuming they keep the dial controls for shutter speed and exposure comp, wouldn't this be more akin to an ILC Leica X1/X2? If they made that kind of camera for say $699 I think it would be a winner.

I know about 100 people who would buy it here in Germany.

Btw, there already are MF M-mount RF cameras, with both color and monochrome sensors, available from Leica. Of those, Leica sells about 100-150 per month over here.

Since Fuji wouldn't sell more units than Leica, the price would have to be quite similar to make a profit. However, at Leica prices, even less people would buy such a camera, they would rather buy the original Leica, so Fuji would lose their investment. At lower prices, a few 1000 units of such "cheap Leicas" could be sold world-wide, but again that's way too little for Fuji to ever get their money back. So no matter what, it would be the financial disaster and the managers who were responsible for it would certainly be fired. Since Fuji's managers do not want to lose their jobs, I guess it isn't in the cards.

You can't be serious. Neither monochrome, nor another mounts (Fuli already offers an M adapter) nor a manual focus camera (all X-Mount cameras have an MF mode, anyway) makes any business sense.

Remember I said a wish..

Btw. I don't think Ricoh gxr actually started selling in any number until the a12 m mount adapter. The Fuji m mount adapter has its limitations due to built in electronics that a dedicated approach would not. I am not the only one wishing for a monochrom. There are people willing to pay over 450 plus their own digital body to have a custom monochrome conversion (third party conversion shops are out there. Most originally started out life doing ir conversions).

Gary

I'm of the mindset that it would be an entry level ILC as well. Tho I hope it would have the following:

- same X-Trans II/EXR II setup like the X100s. Would be very surprised if a sensor between the 2/3" and APS-C were developed tho I wouldn't mind a slightly downsized sensor if it used the same mount as the rest of the system and the body were sized like an X10/20...

- body style ala X10/20. I own an XP1 & soon to be X20 (formerly X10) and while I enjoy the retro control, I do like the mode dial layout as well (C1 & C2 are great!!). Just add an extra command dial on the front of the camera (not like the X10/20 rear sub-dial) and control of aperture and shutter is still breeze. One nit pick I have with the hard dials of the XP/XE/X100 is the need to use secondary controls for 1/3 stop increments...

- Add-on EVF with flash pass-thru or built in flash like X100 (to wirelessly control my EF-X20!)

- same build quality as the rest of the X-series..don't dilute the theme of the line with plasticky toys, we're fans BECAUSE of the overall package not just IQ and looks!

- wouldn't mind a tilt-screen...having an X-P/E on a hand strap to use with VF and a secondary body on a shoulder strap with a tilt screen for off-the-hip street shooting = awesome!! I would have the upcoming 56mm on my XP and the 14mm or CZ 12mm on the hip camera. Street shooters dream ;)

- price it @ $699/body or $849/kit ($249 for the EVF??) and that would bring a whole new demographic to the X-Series...and for us loyal existing ILC customers, a 2nd or 3rd Fuji body!!

This thread is missing a picture

c8e33d3d.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is not real of course. Just stumbled upon it.

Back