Olympus Any good Flash for Olympus OMD?

IamPain13

Rookie
Hi,

I was wondering if there's any good Flash for my Olympus OMD ME5. The compact one that comes with the camera just doesn't cut it when i take pictures at night. Since it has a universal hotshoe on top I guess I can just buy any Flash. I need a good one that is affordable. I have an old one but it takes about a min before I can take a new picture or flash wont go off.

Help please.

Thanks

Check out our sister site mu-43.com -- there's a lot of threads discussing this. I can only recommend what I've tried - the Nissin di466. The flash recharges quickly, and can be remotely triggered. It can change angle, but cannot swivel.

I got a FL300 with the OMD. Compact and seems to charge at a decent speed between shots when using a Li battery. Haven't used it though for any real photography.

The FL600R is specifically matched to the E-M5. It allows all the flash functions of the camera to be used such as off camera wireless flash, high speed sync and either full TTL or manual control. The FL50R is a bigger more powerful version of the same thing and there are various aftermarket guns (Nissan, Yonguho, Metz) that may or may not offer the same funcyionality.

If you can afford it the 600R is the obvious choice.

Gordon

Get the EM1 if you want a cheaper, tougher, faster kind of camera with a vastly superior choice of native lenses. If you do street photography,

FL36 is cheap now, and works very well. But, with only two batteries, can be slow to recharge, if you use full power. But as a fill flash, it is acceptable, for casual use, ie. family etc. I shot my daughter's wedding with mine with one set of batteries. It has very comprehensible controls. But no off camera control, unless you get the "R" model.

I like the Nissin Di466. Small, cheap, seems fairly robust and powerful. I'm not an expert on flash but the reviews seemed positive.

FL36 is cheap now, and works very well. But, with only two batteries, can be slow to recharge, if you use full power. But as a fill flash, it is acceptable, for casual use, ie. family etc. I shot my daughter's wedding with mine with one set of batteries. It has very comprehensible controls. But no off camera control, unless you get the "R" model.

I got the "R" model used for $120 and it works great with my E-M5 on or off camera. The little flash that came with your camera can remote control any of the "R" designated flashes. The FL36R also bounces and swivels and is the perfect size on the E-M5 camera. It's not as powerful as the FL600R but it's a smaller size and works fine for me.

Back