Sony Any Grip Options for RX100 Besides Franiec and Flipbac?

The camera is very small and the lens is wide so some grips like the FlipBac grips don't leave much room for the fingers between the lens and the grip. I found that combo to be uncomfortable. The Franiec grip is much better with enough room for my fingers. The looks, well to me that is not that important, but they all look OK to me.

-Thomas

I have the Sony case. I got it as a special offer where it was included free with the camera when buying it directly from the Sony store. It looks great and provides great protection. I leave it on most of the time. My only problem is that you have to remove it to change the SD card and it adds to the overall size of the camera. Little tight for a front pocket with the case on. Sort of goes against the whole pocket camera idea. However the top portion does snap off, so can use it as a half case too. Personally I don't see then need to add a grip to this camera. I like the clean look without one, and (maybe it is my hand size) I just like the smooth front.

How about this grip base? Seems study looking RX100 GRIP-BASE: BLACK | J.B. Camera Designs Or Steve Huff shows a beauty of an ever ready case for it here Video: The Sony RX100 Protective Case, OM-D With Leica Summilux and SLR Magic’s Bokehmorphic! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS If you use that you don't need the hand grip :)

As far as actual grips, I don't think you'll top the Franiac without doing some sort of home-brew job that's likely to be a whole lot uglier...

There are some leather skins available on ebay and probably elsewhere, however, that look pretty nice on the camera and will no doubt vastly improve the grip. Even if there's no change to the "topography", the change in texture might be all it would take. If you're looking for a solution that's actually attractive, that might be your best bet...

-Ray

I have the Franiec grip, and it works a treat. The whole set up is so small that I wouldn't get too upset about how it looks, although I have to say I think RF has done as good a job as could be with the design for the grip. It makes a huge difference to the feel of the camera.

Hi Amin,

I recently bought the redesigned Flipbac Grip3. It is narrower than the G2 and fits perfect. Very pleased. As good as the RF grip for 1/3 the price. The G2 grip is too wide.

flipbac.com

Not exactly pretty (unless you get inventive with cutting it into shapes) but it's super grippy, very cheap and completely removable if you change your mind.
I've used it on my S95 and my Sigma DP cameras, considering it for the RX100.

PATRULL Anti-slip strip - IKEA

I'm leary of that stuff. It's like stick on sandpaper. I'm afraid little bits will break off and scratch things.

I would go with egrips instead. They are made out of silicon and provide the same function but are made for things like phones and PDAs. They are also dirt cheap. 75 cents to about $10 per set. There's a pink set selling on ebay for 99 cents shipped right now. I'll hold out for black.

Back