Fuji Any left-eyed shooters?

DrMickey

I love the X series cameras, but have nowhere close to try them in person. So my question is simple: if you are a left-eyed shooter, does the viewfinder eyepiece--situated on the left side of the camera--cause any issues for you?

Thanks!

Michael

I have the X100 and have always tended to use my left eye when using viewfinders. When I read that people were thrilled they didn't get nose smudges on the LCD by using their right eyes, I gave it a go and still ended up using my left eye out of habit. I wear glasses, and don't have any issues, but I would definitely suggest you try this out in person if possible to make sure it's not going to be an issue for you (though I understand that it may be difficult to get one in person due to your location).

I used to shoot with my left eye, accessing the the drive, ae, and af buttons were a lot easier but I was finding that my nose was pressing on the LCD screen all the time, I have since then started to shoot with my right eye which I am not used to, I find that it's a little bit awkward and reaching for the drive, ae, and af buttons a little bit awkward as well, on the other hand my nose doesn't press on to the LCD screen and I don't have to clean smudges all the time.

No. I've been shooting cameras for years with viewfinders on the left. I plunk my left eye onto them and deal with the nose marks on the body. If my nose were sharp and scratched the LCD I might find it a problem. Oh! an old printer's trick for dealing with scratched negatives was to apply a little nose grease on the scratch; it sometimes worked when the commercial remedy did not. Like on an LCD, you cleaned it off afterwards, but it taught me never to despise nose smudges!

I used to own the Pentax K7 and K5 and my nose turned on Live View more times than I can count; missed a lot of birding shots that way.
Today I went to the beach and shot with my Nikon DSLR and a Panasonic FZ200, and I kept this post in mind. Yes, the Nikon LCS was smudged. The Panasonic LCD was folded in facing the body so no smudges on the LCD.
Maybe it's a matter of perception; there isn't much distance between viewfinder on the left and center viewfinder. So Maybe I would get used to it.

I've always been a right-eyed shooter but that may be changing in a few years. It is clear that my vision in my right eye is deteriorating faster than in my left eye. Already, I really have to make major diopter adjustments for my right eye. At some point I'll reach the limit and have to use my left eye if I want to manual focus any longer. Yes, I could wear glasses while shooting (I have them for reading now). But smudged LCDs would annoy me less. :D

Progressives

Left eyed with progressive lenses and although I don't have a Fuji with interchangeable lenses, my X100's viewfinder works fine for me.:)
I wear progressives as well and I am also wondering about the difference between a hybrid VF and the less complex EVF. Analysis paralysis, I guess...

I'm left-eyed, and my right eye is weaker than my left. I am managing to shoot with the EVF but it is certainly more of a conscious struggle than using my left. I expect it won't be an issue for me, as my primary shooting style involves tripods and slow shutter speeds.

I wear progressives as well and I am also wondering about the difference between a hybrid VF and the less complex EVF. Analysis paralysis, I guess...
I used to own an Olympus PEN with the wonderful EVF. Now I own the X100 with its wonderful EVF and had no problems with either of them.

I know what you mean about "analysis paralysis".:wink_old:''

P.S. Just to be clear the hybrid option is something one chooses - as in the little lever is there, if you want to use it.

Nope. Another lefty here too. Interesting in that it's the one that needs the most correction.

I tried shooting a bit with my right eye yesterday. Bah!

Oh, Yes, I admit to being a left-eye-guy pressing the nose on my LCD...:eek:
There are no problems - thanks god it's not a touchscreen !:clap2:
Cheers!
Fujidanny

Oh, Yes, I admit to being a left-eye-guy pressing the nose on my LCD...:eek:
There are no problems - thanks god it's not a touchscreen !:clap2:
Cheers!
Fujidanny

I use my OM-D EVF that way ... I think I disabled the touch screen on that camera. I can't imagine how annoying that would be if it couldn't be disabled.

Back