Panasonic Any Love for the Old LX3 Anymore?

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
I was going through my camera gear today, deciding what to keep any what not to keep. I simply have too much gear. Plus, of course, I want to make room for whenever the inevitable new-gear lust raises its ugly head. ;)

One of the cameras I picked up and examined closely was my old Panasonic LX3. This camera was my daily go-to camera for a few years, despite my also having a Pentax DSLR kit, which I still have. Even after I purchased my first micro four-thirds camera, this was still the one I reached for most often. It was always just so easy to use on a moment's notice while giving solid results under most conditions.

Alas, time and technology march on and my LX3 isn't picked up all that often anymore. But, in handling it and scrolling through the menus today, I couldn't help but recognize once again just how great a little camera the LX3 is.

I'm not sure what to do with the LX3. If a family member would like it and really plans to use it, I'd be happy to gift it to them. But part of me will be sorry to see it go - even though I don't use it much anymore.

So how about you guys? Is anyone still using the LX3 these days?

I have an LX5...

Which Pentax DSLR do you have? A few months ago I sold off my Pentax stuff, including the lovely DA15, which definitely caused a pang in my heart! Since then I've used the LX5 exclusively while I consider and re-consider and waffle on which system I will try next - I'm thinking perhaps an Olympus Pen...

Anyway, back on topic, have you considered using the LX3 for impromptu close-ups?

View attachment 62767
Yeats P1050181 by Yeatsy, on Flickr

At the time I bought my LX3, I had a Pentax K200D. About a year and a half ago, I added a K-5 to my kit. About three months ago, I gave my K200D to my niece, along with the DA 18-55 WR, the DA 55-200 WR and the DA 35 f/2.4. The K-5, which I still own and use, is a wonderful camera. But the main thing that keeps me shooting Pentax APS-C is my DA Limited primes. To that end, I just picked up a K-01 body for $314 this weekend. It'll make a great body for my DA Limiteds at family gatherings. I pulled the trigger on the K-01 after the price dropped to a point that was silly to ignore - and especially after Serious Compacts member John Flores showed me the files he was getting from it. Did I mention that I also have a Pentax Q?

If you're considering micro four thirds and you really like your LX5, I'd suggest trying something like a Panasonic GX1. Same general form factor and you'd already be familiar with the menu system. If you'd like a built-in EVF, take a look at the G3... which B&H is offering for $299 with kit lens on close-out right now:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/768477-REG/Panasonic_DMC_G3KK_Lumix_DMC_G3_14_42mm_Lens.html

I felt the same way about the LX5 - it's just such a good all-around little camera. I tend to be ruthless with gear I'm not using and I sold my first LX5 pretty quickly and then bought another when they were on sale and ultimately traded away the second. And it's what had me nearly pulling the trigger on an LX7 during the Black Friday through Cyber Monday sale the last few days. I have absolutely no need for another great small camera these days and the sensor in the LX cameras has really been left in the dust, but they're such we'll-conceived little cameras that I still just sort of WANT one for no particularly rational reason.

I've never been a fan of Panasonic's m43 cameras, pretty much always preferring Oly's offerings. But the little LX cameras hold a special place for me and I'm sure once they come out with an LX with a sensor that can really compete with the RX100 or even X10, I'll have another. I know if I'd bought an LX7 I'd have probably sold it fairly quickly for lack of use, but then I'd feel bad about iIt soon after and be tempted. To buy another. So I didn't. And I still sort of have pangs that make me think for $300 I probably should have.

-Ray

the LX3 is a stone cold classic. I only shot with it once, but I loved it. If I had one, I wouldn't sell it. And when people ask me for a compact camera recommendation I actually still recommend it to bargain hunters and people that would rather hang out on eBay than spend an extra $50-$100 for newer tech.

couple of months ago. I travel LX3 with my Olympus EPM1. I ended up using the LX3 more often
because of the interface. Everything was there when needed, compare to my EPM1 I had to go into menu etc. The quality of LX3 is pretty good for compac. But when it comes to low light. THats when the later sensors count. LX3 will still be ok for me 85% of the time.

Still have my LX3. Still pull it out from time to time. Great little camera and surprising how many of my favourite shots have been taken with it relative to other cameras I have / have had. Right now I'm packing up a DSLR and lenses and flash to sell off but I've no plans to sell my LX3.

i have to agree with some of the previous comments. The LX3 is a genuine bargain at the low price they go for used nowadays.
just because a new model has come along it doesn't mean the LX3 stops being as good as it always was ;)
even though i use my DSLR or Leica most often i still love my LX3 & like the previous poster many of my favourite shots were taken with it :)

i think i'm going to charge the battery & stick it in my coat pocket just in case :)

I had the D-lux 4 version of the same camera (got it for the Capture 1 software and Leica jpegs, which I prefer) and loved it. In fact until I just recently got the Fuji X10 I've been very tempted to buy one used. Lovely little cameras, both brand versions.

Hi,
I bought a used LX5 with the EVF and the wide angle conversion lens and adapter and even though I haven't use it much yet it is just a great little camera, the one I'll take everywhere with me, instead of a big DSLR which I sold to buy the LX5, even got some money back on the Canon 400D kit.

I just keep on finding out new features on the LX5 that the manual/ user guide does'nt really tell you !

Now waiting for a chance to go out properly and use it !

Been going through my back catalogue doing a bit of organising and labelling and coming across images I had forgotten about. Among those were this set taken in Tbilisi last June with my LX3. I have previously posted some of these but had always processed these in B&W (they were taken using the LX3's B&W setting), so I decided to give them go in colour.

Great to see some images from something other than the latest gear reminding us that things haven't moved that far in the last 4 years.

I still love my old DLux4 (LX3) and always preferred the images from that to my later LX5.
The LX5's sensor was better at higher ISOs but the LX3's lens is still one to beat at base ISO.
I might suggest that the LX3 is the best of all the LX cameras.
Here's a typical shot made a few years ago in Hong Kong

8474208412_01fbff2704_b.jpg

When I got back into digital photography.. It was the gf1 w/ 20f1.7 and when the lx3 was announced, it came into the fold very soon after. At base iso w/ that lens, I think it has better overall iq then a lot of its modern cousins. :D. I still have it.. It has served me so well, I could not part w/ it.

Gary

Since my niece has my old LX3, I have access to it if I ever want to use it. But I am thinking about the LX7 when the price falls below $300 again. Unless I pick up the Fuji X20 first. I couldn't justify both, could I?

From DC:
original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sweden
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

I just got one for £10 without charger but as its the same as my Ricoh GX100 who was I to refuse oh it also had a small lowe pro case also. I quite like its shot to shot raw speed especially compared to the GX100 but the GX has miles better ergonomics, still for the price who am I to complain?

Back