Fuji Any OM-D users here? I'm gettin an OM-D to complement my Fujis - need advice!

Ramirez

Regular
I couldn't resist a good deal for an Olympus OMD-EM5 and m.Zuiko 12-50.

I love my two Fuji cameras; X-E1 and X100s. I have the XF18-55 and XF35 lenses and the MIC-ST1 (for better sound during video recording).

I always loved the photography part but it seems that I'm going more "hybrid" as my YouTube channel starts to take off.

I've been thinking more of the videography side. I don't need to go pro (then I need different systems, I know). I don't like "handy cams", basically because I love operating "standard" camera shapes.

At first I thought about the Panasonic Lumix GH3 but it's kind of expensive and I got this OM-D at a really good price.

Yesterday I did a video recording session with my X-E1 and the XF18-55 (with the MIC-ST1) of a choir concert in a kind of dark lit church. I was amazed of the results!

The MIC-ST1 really captured all the different tones amazingly well (bass, tenor, alto, soprano and the piano and bass player too). I used Astia film simulation and the video turned out really cinematic. Pleasing for the eyes and ears. I off course used manual focus, f5. I was careful with the zooming. Mostly at the wide end but sometimes a little zooming. Tripod mounted of course.

I concluded that for these dark lit conserts, when using this method, the X-E1 is more than enough for my kind of video use.

But even with the IS on the XF18-55, I wouldn't want to go "handheld" recording.

Then I started to watch YouTube videos of the OM-D; video recordings handheld... Some of those videos blew me away... I came to the conclusion that X-E1 for the inside scenery, tripod mounted, is all that I need to record beautiful videos. And the OM-D could serve for those times when I go recording handheld, mostly daytime. And I wouldn't have to worry much about rain either. I don't need the GH3.

So, when I found a good deal on the OM-D, I hit the button... The SEMA adapter is coming too (mic adapter for the Olympus m4/3 cameras).

Now my question for those of you who also use the OM-D (some here maybe does?):

- Auto ISO limits?
On my Fuji cameras; ISO 6400 is my limit for Auto ISO. Should I put ISO 3200 as limit on the OM-D?

- Any other settings to think about for the OM-D?

I'm kind of going "hybrid". In the church, during a break, one of the choir members asked me if I shoot only video or is it photos I take. I answered; I do both. I'm turning to a hybrid between photographer and videographer. He answered; you are a "mediagrapher".

I'd like to think of my journey in digital media that way. Incorporating photography, videography, web design... Different media tools to achieve a bigger picture.

This seems to be a journey that I've started on.

It all began when I wanted to record my own gigs (I'm a singer/songwriter also) - too many interests, I know - my wife complains about it! From this I have also started to record other music events and put together a YouTube channel for the music I record on video. It is mainly live music conserts I record. Contemporary, classical, folk music etc. Mostly acoustic.

Well, this thread became a looong one... Just felt the need to desribe what my goals are with my gear.

Consensus is; X-E1 - tripod mounted in lowlight. OM-D when moving around (5-axis stabilization) in brighter light and outside.

Tips for how to setup the OM-D is appreciated :)

I have the EM5 and XE1. 3200 is my limit on the Olympus and 6400 on the Fuji. I bought the Olympus first then the Fuji.

On the EM5 you can drop the ISO down quite low in evening shots and IBIS will prevent camera shake blur. Of course if your subjects are moving they will be blurry but the rest of your image will be fine. IBIS also works on adapted lenses and provides IS when looking through the viewfinder.

Yup. 3200 is the limit I place on my EM5 also. The IBIS on the EM5 is amazing though and for handheld, you really couldn't do better for the money. I don't really do video though... so I can't comment too much on the proper settings for it.

Hi Ramirez.. OMD is the King of Mirrorless Jungle and currently there is no camera which beats or competes with it . If offers a very unique shooting experience and I am afraid to say It might become ur primary camera. Now as others have stated , IBIS is exellent and u wont have to use ISO 6400. Video is amazing , smooth crisp and clear . The best thing is that you can pick up OMD body only for USD700-800 and I wont advice you to get 12-60 mm lens . Fuji 18-55 lens is exellent and there is no current lens in MFT line up which is cheap and performs like your 18-55. Panasonic 12-35mm is very expensive . The bottom line is - get OMD , it will change the way u shoot . I am thinking of getting XE1 with 18-55 . Finally there are many members who have both systems , u wont be left alone ..Hahahaah :D:D:D

If you want killer video for your EM5 get a Voigtlander 17.5. Manual focus with a great throw, f0.95 and the ability to have stepped or step less aperture.

I shoot the XE1 much more than the EM5. I got the XE1 in October and the EM5 in April (2012).

If you want killer video for your EM5 get a Voigtlander 17.5. Manual focus with a great throw, f0.95 and the ability to have stepped or step less aperture.

I shoot the XE1 much more than the EM5. I got the XE1 in October and the EM5 in April (2012).

How do you "split your shooting time" between X-E1 and EM5? In which situation do you prefer the X-E1 and vice versa? That would be interesting to know :)

I loved the OMD and fond the IBIS to be great for handheld video. I kept the Auto ISO max set at 6400 like on the Fuji, Oly is noisier but still gives usable results at that setting IMO. Best thing about the OMD is that it gives you access to Micro 4/3 lenses, some of which have no counterpart in Fujiland. My favorite amongst those is the Oly 75/1.8 - amazing lens.

I did end up selling the OMD because I have too many cameras and prefered my E-PM2 for it's small size. Also love my XE1!

How do you "split your shooting time" between X-E1 and EM5? In which situation do you prefer the X-E1 and vice versa? That would be interesting to know :)

Walking around the city or on a trail, XE1.
Night shots or beach vacations, EM5.

If I grab a camera on the go it is usually the Fuji. It weighs less and packs easier, also it has a built in flash.

I'm on vacation right now and here are the bodies I brought. I've shot 400 images or so with the two digitals and 2 rolls of film.

8727855341_922c7437ab_z.jpg

Three amigos by Photos By 夏天, on Flickr

Attachments

• 8727855341_922c7437ab_z.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 54
Walking around the city or on a trail, XE1.
Night shots or beach vacations, EM5.

If I grab a camera on the go it is usually the Fuji. It weighs less and packs easier, also it has a built in flash.

I'm on vacation right now and here are the bodies I brought. I've shot 400 images or so with the two digitals and 2 rolls of film.

Three amigos by Photos By 夏天, on Flickr

I love the Lance straps! I got the non adjust neck straps for my cameras.

Attachments

• 8727855341_922c7437ab_z.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 41
Remember to use shutter speed of 1/60 to keep the videos filmic like. It's also less jittery so the viewers won't get motion sickness from watching it. Being the owner of both OMD and Fuji X cameras, I'd say the video quality of E-M5 is a bit higher than the Fujis but not in photography. One thing I want to point out is the menu structure of the E-M5 is pretty clustered&confusing. If you can overcome that, it makes a great handi-cam. The Voigtlander primes make a great companion too albeit somewhat heavy.

Hey Ramirez,

I have the XP-1, X100S and a pair of OM-D's. I don't do video, so I can't comment on that. Typically, I prefer to shoot with two cameras, but mixing a Fuji with a Oly, just doesn't mix well. When I need to shoot fast, very long and/or very wide than it is the OM-D. For photojournalism type stuff, when I have to get 'the shot', capture the story ... it's the OM-D. When I want to slow down and savoy the photographic experience, get an image which looks more film than digital ... it's the Fuji's.

Gary

PS-
GRAA0067-XL.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

OM-D w/O15mm (the $49.00 Lens Cap), 1/60, f/8, ISO 12800 (no noise reduction in camera or post)

Attachments

• GRAA0067-XL.jpg
    GRAA0067-XL.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 40
Gary just likes taking photos of cute girls pouring big glasses of wine.

But then again, who doesn't?

The wine just tastes better poured that way. (okay so I'm a shallow male ...)

This wine maker diverts a portion of the profits to rescue animals (dogs, horses, et cetera). Some of the rescues are featured on the labels, (see the upside down Pit Bull on the bottle of Pinot above).

=G=

Hey Ramirez,

I have the XP-1, X100S and a pair of OM-D's. I don't do video, so I can't comment on that. Typically, I prefer to shoot with two cameras, but mixing a Fuji with a Oly, just doesn't mix well. When I need to shoot fast, very long and/or very wide than it is the OM-D. For photojournalism type stuff, when I have to get 'the shot', capture the story ... it's the OM-D. When I want to slow down and savoy the photographic experience, get an image which looks more film than digital ... it's the Fuji's.

Gary

PS-
GRAA0067-XL.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

OM-D w/O15mm (the $49.00 Lens Cap), 1/60, f/8, ISO 12800 (no noise reduction in camera or post)

That is a great shot with just the "Lens Cap"! I need to order that "Lens Cap" as well :)

Conclusion

I finally got my OM-D. I bought the m.Zuiko 12-50 separately (about 140€) and also the SEMA (adapter and external mic).

I've tested the OM-D for a couple of days outside (you can see the images on the mu43 site).

My conclusions:

- I still love the IQ from my X-E1 (especially with the XF35) and the X100s most
Low light, artistic images, portraits etc.

The Fujis are still going to be my number 1 cameras for photography, with the exception for action photography and telephoto (because of the quite expensive XF55-200).

I'm going to stay with my lenses that I have for now for the Fujis (XF18-55 and XF35) as I really need to hold on to the little money I have left lol... it's an expensive hobby this!

I'm also going to use the X-E1 for video recording tripod mounted inside (lowlight use, 24p etc) with the MIC-ST1

- The OM-D:s area will be:

Rainy day because of weather sealing (with m.Zuiko 12-50)

Handheld video recording (5-axis IBIS and the video zoom capabilities with the m.Zuiko 12-50, SEMA)

Nature walks (as I don't need the Fuji high ISO performance due to the daylight, and if it rains I'm kind of safe, safer than with the Fujis at least)

Telephoto, I'm just going to buy a cheap m.Zuiko 40-150 telezoom as I don't do this kind of photography often, but sometimes I'd like a longer range. And when I need that kind of range it is outside during nature walks, mostly in daylight.

The only thing that I need to make my photo gear complete at this time in life is the m.Zuiko 40-150.

Well, these are my conclusions thus far :)

You won't go wrong with the 40-150 from Olympus -- sharp, small, lightweight, cost-effective telezoom. (y) The only other zoom I would consider for you, since you value video making, is the Panasonic X 45-175/4-5.6 which will run you around 280usd in the used market. It's all internal zoom (perfect match for the 12-50 kit), has a bit more reach but still small, and very lightweight. Only downside is quality control issues with some owners complaining of bad copies.

Back