Fuji Any recommendation for a good 85-100mm adapted lens/adapter???

Ray Sachs

Legend
Name
you should be able to figure it out...
I'm looking to bail on m43 and move all of my long and wide needs over to Fuji (my everyday gear are an RX1 for most stuff and a Nikon A for street). The ONLY thing I use much of at all that's keeping me from leaving m43 is the amazing Olympus 75mm lens, which I find an absolutely perfect length and quality for most candid portraits. But I don't use it that much and could do with slightly less quality and would be OK with manual focus, particularly with the new focus peaking function on the XE1. So, I'm looking for something in the 85-100mm range with a Fuji adapter.

Any recommendations? I just missed a Minolta 75 here on the site, but I'm OK buying new or on ebay, but I'm not sure what might be a good match.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

-Ray

Yeah, I was looking at the Rokinon/Samyang/Bower. Seems to get very good reviews and a ridiculous price. Think I may give one a try... I wish the focus peaking on the Fuji's was a bit more customizable (give me RED!), but it works well enough. I was just playing around with it and having no problem distinguishing between having my wife's eyeglass frame vs eyelashes in focus. And that's with a relatively poor MF ring - with something well damped, this could work well...

-Ray

Thanks John. Those are nice. Is this an AF or manual focus only lens? I guess it doesn't matter if it has a mechanical MF connection, but I'm a bit leery of AF lenses because its sometimes hard to tell which have mechanical vs by-wire MF mechanisms...

-Ray

I tried a rokinon with the em5. Very nice glass, but the focus ring was inordinately stiff. I think QC on these is lacking so finding a good copy can be a chore. Amazon usually has several used ones available and they are easy to deal with on returns. I remember a Voightlander 75 2.5 for sale on here or mu-43 for $400.

The older AF and AF-D lenses are mechanical focus and use the "screwdriver" connection to the body for AF. Totally a mechanical MF lens for your purposes. Interestingly, many of Nikon's AF-S lenses use a clever clutch mechanism that keeps the focus ring from turning when doing AF, but allow immediate mechanical override. I'm not sure which lenses have that so I can't say for sure the 85mm AF-S does.

That 85mm f/1.8 AF and AF-D versions are optically the same, but mechanically/electrically different. Either will work for you, but the very oldest 85mm f/1.8 lenses have a very narrow MF ring at the end that is not the nicest to use. I'll find some images online and show you.

Thanks John. Those are nice. Is this an AF or manual focus only lens? I guess it doesn't matter if it has a mechanical MF connection, but I'm a bit leery of AF lenses because its sometimes hard to tell which have mechanical vs by-wire MF mechanisms...

-Ray

I just sold a Rokkor 85mm F1.7. Pretty darn good optically but built more like an F1.4 than a slower F1.8.
I really wanted to keep it but needed the funds for something else. They're not cheap tho.

I have a Nikon 100E F2.8. Light, cheap, and fairly sharp.
The Nikkor 105 2.5 would probably put you pretty close to the fov/dof of the 75mm on m43.

I think I'll give a Nikkor 85mm f2(52mm filter size) or a Rokinon 85mm a try once the funds allow. I like the length.
And hopefully by then another update will give us that color in peaking.

Thanks folks. I decided to stay with m43 for the long end after all. Just not certain I'm ready to give up that lens and AF for that kind of shooting. I sold several wider m43 lenses though - sort of clearing out the unspderbrush as it were and should have plenty to fund a 10-24 or a Zeiss 12mm. It would be nice if then10-24 showed up before the discount on the 12 ends at the end if January, but I'm not holding my breath.

-Ray

I realize this is a late contribution to this thread, but I am nevertheless replying just in case some more people are interested in it.
As also written in another thread, I use an adapted Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro. This lens may exhibits purple fringing on some high-contrast subjects, but this disappear altogether by f/5.6. In any other respect this is an excellent lens and I find it a joy to use with X-mount cameras. I wrote a review of this that can be found here:

http://www.fujixseries.com/discussio...e1#Item_5.html

Back