Fuji Any thinking of buying the GFX?

Not really. I'd love to play around with one, but this is not the universe in which I spend that kind of $ on a toy. That thing seems pretty seriously tilted towards a life in-studio, not biking around shooting 1-handed.

It does strike me as a fantastic camera. I suspect it produces extremely sharp excellent photos but likely would not keep up with the AF of the XT-2 so likely outstanding for non-action shots and more suited for studio or Landscape style of shooting. With the larger sensor and up to date Fuji optics I suspect it is likely the best camera available for those areas.

As for me I am more of a hobbyist so I like to shoot all venues available. I doubt the GFX is good for something like Birds in Flight and sports type work although I could be wrong having never experienced the use of one. Also at the price point it is not a lens for a hobbyist, definitely more the price range of a professional who can recoup the cost.

As I understand it, we're talking blue chip product photography, landscape images prepared for billboards. Only manual lenses will get reach the potential of these MF cameras. Do I do any of that? No I do not. I do think its wonderful that Fuji is coming out with it though and would have complete confidence in the product if I ever owned it.

The most I've ever paid for a camera or lens is $800. The GFX + 63mm lens is 10X that much. I don't have that kind of $$$ floating around. I love photography and I generally wake up thinking about finding new and interesting images, but I'm just a hobbyist. Photography has never paid the bills and probably never will. If my experience with the Mamiya 645 1000S is any indicator, the images from the GFX will be stunning. To those that have the pockets for it, I salute you.

They likely won't ever do a folder (until they figure out how to make some sort of infallible bellows system), but I don't know why they haven't gone after the Sony RX1 with a camera like you describe. I'm sure there'd be lots of takers....at least "lots" relative to its' price point.

Oh man. A fixed lens, small (relatively) 645 sensor sized Fuji... ye gods. The internet would explode.
No doubt. For a short while I carried a Mamiya 645 1000S film camera when I went hiking, along with my digital gear. I eventually tired of the weight and sold it, but the quality of images was stunning. A MF version of the X100 would be something worth saving for, if the price was within reasonable reach.

Talk about carrying a bazooka around with you... If they managed to get it reasonably sized, ... and now my head is throwing out the physical problems with that. Ok, the lens wouldn't be an f2. Probabaly f4.0 at best. Body would be a good 30% bigger than X100. Lens would be 50% bigger even at f4. Forget all the low-light hijinx of the X100, and you'd have to deal with the razor-thin DOF, too. As I'm positive Fuji is already well aware, the existing X100 format really IS at the sweet spot in most ways. You just can't get as

- compact
- light
- fast lens
- usable DOF

with any other format, expact maybe "full frame," and that space is so solidly occupied that I see why Fuji isn't going to bleed itself to death trying to get in there and fight. Talk about reaching your hand into the blender... whole new sensor in a crowded market? NERP.

Back