Anybody hire a professional logo designer before?

Kevin

Code Monkey 🐒
For a new side project I just initiated hiring a design company for a new logo*. Besides making sure I get copies of the designs in vector format, any other advice to be on the lookout for?

* Yes, in hindsight as I type this I realize I should have posted here first to see if anybody in our community is a designer that I could have hired instead. D'oh!

How good are you at playing with vector graphics? Do you have applications that support them?

It the answer is no than think about what sizes you need and have them generate different sizes for you. I'm only OK with vector stuff so I went through business cards, flyers, mailings, stuff for trade shows, etc and had them generate files including a couple B&W options.

How good are you at playing with vector graphics? Do you have applications that support them?
I have access to several applications that can support them but, alas, I don't have the design skills to go along with them. Now asking me to crank out some code on the other hand.... 🖥🐒

It the answer is no than think about what sizes you need and have them generate different sizes for you. I'm only OK with vector stuff so I went through business cards, flyers, mailings, stuff for trade shows, etc and had them generate files including a couple B&W options.
So far the deliverables for them include the main banner / logo to be used at the top of the web site and for a secondary image to be used as the opengraph logo (for FB, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.) & browser icons. The browser icons & social site images prefer squared images over banners so I'm tasking that with them instead of me trying to butcher a banner image to be squared. I hadn't thought about printing; that topic will be added to the list of conversation points, thanks. :)

I AM a graphic designer and when I wanted to add a signature to my photos I knew MY signature would look terrible. I went to www.dafont.com and looked through their handwritten-style typefaces/fonts until I found one that looked somewhat like my own handwritten signature. As stated before, look at vector graphics on Shutterstock.com, many now have editing features online before you download the modified vector file. It won't replace a good graphic designer, but you might get something you like. You def want vector as it is scalable where raster art is less so.

Back