Leica Anybody shoots without an external viewfinder?

I'm curious as well as I'm thinking of going wider than the current 28mm that I have. I'm pondering either 18 or 21 but I don't want to really use an external viewfinder.

I have, but with the Kodak Retina IIIS. Just framed with the widest framelines and used the left eye to envision what else would be in the picture. With digital, it is even easier since you get confirmation on the LCD. On the M9, I leave a 1.25x finder in place and use the inner frame still visible to line things up.

The only thing I can suggest- give it a try.

I only use a viewfinder when framing is critical. With practice you can pre-visualize and get your framing pretty good. Do note to reduce distortion keep your camera level...

I have shot up to 12mm with out a viewfinder, but as they say practice makes perfect.

I have to sometimes. Can't use a flash and VF at the same time and I shoot real estste work with the 12 and 21mm CVs. I'll usually frame up with the VF in my hand and then just centre the camera at the same position using the rangefinder. Kind of like movie directors do. I'd actually like a neck strap for my 12mm finder.

Sometimes though I just wing it. One of the benifits of digital.

Gordon

Thanks guys, I will keep your input in mind when the next wide angle GAS dawns on me.

Voightlander makes one, picked it up for about $20. Traveled all around India with it around my neck with the frankenfinder attached, works great.

Oh, that's really wide 12mm! Would love to see some shots from your India trip.

Cheers!

Oh, that's really wide 12mm! Would love to see some shots from your India trip.

Well my last trip to India was in 2008, so that would be with a M8 and a WATE. Which on a M8 the WATE is a 18/21/24mm lens... I didn't get the 12mm CV until 2010. I have it with me now in Taiwan, I'll try to post something from my Monochrom using it.

But if you want a few India pics... Go to India

Well my last trip to India was in 2008, so that would be with a M8 and a WATE. Which on a M8 the WATE is a 18/21/24mm lens... I didn't get the 12mm CV until 2010. I have it with me now in Taiwan, I'll try to post something from my Monochrom using it.

But if you want a few India pics... Go to India

Thanks for sharing your pics. Cheers!

Here is a shot from the CV12mm, no viewfinder, no cropping, no photoshop... A bit surreal, but I like the clouds so I just couldn't correct it...

View attachment 991

Attachments

• Leica_130726_052168.jpg
    Leica_130726_052168.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 198
Back