Fuji Anybody using vintage glass on Fuji X system ?

Wolf

Veteran
If yes, how do you feel about it ?
any images that somebody wants to share, made with fuji X and manual glass ? ;)

I tried adapting my voigtlander 35mm on my XP1, sort of my attempt to use it as my night time lens as it goes up to 1.2, I found the difference quite minimal comparing it with the native XF 35 1.4, this plus the process of manually focusing a lens on the XP1 made me decide to just keep using the native Fuji lens (I'm quite spoilt manually focusing with the NEX in the past with focus peaking)

if you don't take focus peaking in account, is there a difference between nex / fuji focusing or the results you'll get ?

I bought a cheap adapter to use my old Super Takumar 50mm. I was hoping that it would keep me from buying the Fuji 60mm. The Fuji IQ is so great that it seems kind of a waste unless you really have some special old lenses that have a particular character. I do find the experience of manually focusing to be somewhat enjoyable though when I have the time. Using the back LCD screen, I eyeball the focus and when I think I have it, I use the 3X magnification to double check and then release the shutter.

I haven't had much time for photography, I mainly did a few test shots of the pets. This is the only one I have handy. Shot wide open at f1.4 and then overprocessed.
8267576370_bddf0c801f_z.png

a portrait of Oscar by Lukinosity, on Flickr

I only have Nikon lenses and they are rather big so I haven't bothered. I'm with Luke on this one. The Fuji lenses are really great (as good or better than my Nikon ones). Soon enough, probably by end of 2013 at the latest, you will have the following FF equivalents, 14mm, 28mm, 35mm, 40mm, 50mm, 85mm, and 90mm. I would expect the new lenses will be as good or better than the ones already released. Fuji has been making high quality lenses for quite some time both for film cameras and for cinema/broadcast TV. I would be hard pressed to say I have used a better lens than the Fuji 35mm (50mm equivalent).

Interesting. That's the one lens I would think of adapting because of it's size. I might give it a whirl since the adapters are pretty cheap. I also still have Pentax K mount Macro Bellows with lens. Hmmm....

The scroll wheel at the thumb location on the X-E1 is set when you push it to zoom in the LCD or EVF for manual focus fine-tuning. Works just fine. I would love to see a firmware update one day where you can adjust the zoom amount from 3x to possibly 1x/2x/3x/4x. 3x is fine for wide/standard lenses, but if you put on a short tele the wobble you see in the EVF at 3x would make it difficult to focus. Of course, a tripod would fix that and this is really only an issue at the longer focal lengths.

In contrast, the EM5 with internal IS buffers out that wobble when zoomed in, plus the amount of zoom is variable. This makes it easier to manual focus on the EM5 vs the XE1. Neither have peaking, though there is a peaking hack you can do on the EM5 that is detailed on mu-43.com

I've not used old lenses on an X system camera but I have used 80 plus year old lenses on m4/3 and I would recommend shooting raw as some old lenses can lack contrast which is easily sorted in post processing.

I just ordered a K mount adapter. I am interested in using the Macro Bellows. The more I thought about it, the less interested I would be in adapting other lenses. The Fuji lenses are more than good enough. I doubt I'll use that Macro Bellows much. I didn't when I shot Pentax but it's unusual enough to warrant a $25 purchase. The focusing shouldn't be a problem. You have to have the thing on a tripod with a focusing rail to really make it work well anyway. I used it for a while with an EP camera + adapter. It works really well you just have to have a lot of patience something I have in very sort supply. :) Oh well, it's worth $25 for a weekend project if the weather turns really bad.

I'm thinking about making a m43 - fx mount so I can use my Voigtlander 17.5 and 25mm m43 mount lenses on the X-E1. I know there will be vignetting but that is ok I can leave it in or p'shop it out.

Here are some test shots at f2.0

8296454821_6e02de4d2d_b.jpg

Fuji X-E1 + MFT Voigtlander Test Shots by Photos By 夏天, on Flickr

View attachment 63472

View attachment 63473

View attachment 63474

Well I know from my own experience that the fuji lenses are brilliant.
However so are the prices (the 14mm will be 900 euro !) :-(

I got the 35mm as only lens atm.
though i'm looking to add the 18-55mm kit lens

I still got a konica hexanon 40mm 1.8 and 50mm f1.8 and i might get the konica hexanon 135mm f3.2 to go with the other two.

tdp said:
I'm thinking about making a m43 - fx mount so I can use my Voigtlander 17.5 and 25mm m43 mount lenses on the X-E1. I know there will be vignetting but that is ok I can leave it in or p'shop it out.

I've been keeping an eye open for such an adapter, was thinking it would be great to mount my rokinon 7.5mm fisheye on my xe1 even if theres not full coverage. If you figure it out, keep us updated!

Well I know from my own experience that the fuji lenses are brilliant.
However so are the prices (the 14mm will be 900 euro !) :-(

I got the 35mm as only lens atm.
though i'm looking to add the 18-55mm kit lens

I still got a konica hexanon 40mm 1.8 and 50mm f1.8 and i might get the konica hexanon 135mm f3.2 to go with the other two.

The Hexanon would be a great lens to adapt. I use to have one of those. Really great lens. I think the 135 will be hard to focus because of the size.

I've been keeping an eye open for such an adapter, was thinking it would be great to mount my rokinon 7.5mm fisheye on my xe1 even if theres not full coverage. If you figure it out, keep us updated!

Robinson/Samyang is making an FX mount fish now, if you are jones'ing for some Xe1 fish action and don't mind buying another lens.

tdp said:
Robinson/Samyang is making an FX mount fish now, if you are jones'ing for some Xe1 fish action and don't mind buying another lens.

Ya I'm sure it will also be a very nice performer, but I can't exactly justify owning 2 fisheye lenses for these systems. I suppose it would make more sense to sell the m43 version and adapt the fuji version but i would be sad to giveup such a tiny lens..

I have a Hexanon 40 that I've used with M4/3. I liked the results. At this stage I don't foresee too much legacy stuff on my Fuji; the native lenses are excellent for my needs.

Back