Canon Anyone Canon RP users here?

rayvonn

Hall of Famer
Jan 19, 2015
No need to PM. I reckon a lot of us want to know about that system, I certainly would. I'm interested in the possibility that the mirrorless cameras are rendering in the same way as the DSLR cameras, what some people sometimes refer to as the "Canon Colours".

Last edited:

Robot

Regular
Jul 1, 2020
Netherlands
Rob Otto
You mean in JPEG or RAW ? I own both an EOS 70D (and 300D, 20D, 40D and M5 before that) and now the RP. I shoot in RAW and use Lightroom Classic to correct. Although I just got the RP, what surprises me so far is that my user standard corrections in Lightroom seem now a bit overdone/ oversaturated.

wt21

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2010
You mean in JPEG or RAW ? I own both an EOS 70D (and 300D, 20D, 40D and M5 before that) and now the RP. I shoot in RAW and use Lightroom Classic to correct. Although I just got the RP, what surprises me so far is that my user standard corrections in Lightroom seem now a bit overdone/ oversaturated.
Meaning you'll need to develop some new profiles? I've seen a number of folks talk about Canon DPP, but I'd prefer to stick w/LR.

rayvonn

Hall of Famer
Jan 19, 2015
Either, JPEG or raw although I only shoot raw. I suppose what I'm getting at and really should have mentioned in my first post on this thread, is that I'd like to establish whether the R cameras and lenses produce files similar or the same to their DSLR counterparts, you know, the 'character'. For example, I have a Nikon D800E, very old in this day and age, but I love the files that come from it with the Nikkor/ Voitlander lenses. However, when I see the files from the latest Z cameras, whilst I am sure they are technically perfect at the corners etc etc, they do seem somehow a bit more plasticy computer generated. At least that's the impression I get - maybe I'm wrong, but I'm sort of hoping that's not the case with the R cameras and if so, I could consider buying one of them in the next 12 months.

Apr 18, 2014
Boston Burbs
David
.....I have a Nikon D800E, very old in this day and age, but I love the files that come from it with the Nikkor/ Voitlander lenses. However, when I see the files from the latest Z cameras, whilst I am sure they are technically perfect at the corners etc etc, they do seem somehow a bit more plasticy computer generated. ......
Do you know which Z? The D800e had the AA filter canceling filter. The Z6 has an AA filter, like the D750. The Z7 does not like, the D810 & D850. So make sure you're looking at Z7 images.

I haven't really looked at Canon vs Nikon processing OOC in a LONG time. But back in the Nikon CCD days it seemed Canon's default settings resulted in a more "processed" file while Nikon's seemed to require you to process pretty much ever file.

I wonder with the RP being aimed at the lower price point if "finished" looking OOC images wasn't a choice.

wt21

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2010
I’ve had the RP since Friday. It was the only one near me without waiting a week, and the camera company has a “no return policy” due to COVID (so they say) so there’s no turning back, lol

initial impressions:
  • the AF is better than any camera I’ve ever had (though ive never had the class leaders like d500, a7 after the mark I or the latest Fuji’s). But it does what I need it to. Face detection is solid.
  • The files are far richer, more beautiful and easier to work with that what the internets led me to believe (this is from an m43 user, so take that for what it’s worth). I do a lot less in post now, though I’ll have to rebuild my presets.
  • The controls are not my favorite. The front dial is poorly placed and I’d prefer the dial placement of the g85 (around the shutter) or Nikon (front grip)
  • The menus are no better than panny and little better than Oly. I think complaints about m43 menus are way overdone.
  • The left sided on/off is not my favorite but isn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Still, there is plenty of room on the body for a better on/off and front dial configuration. No idea why canon did it this way
  • Quick set menus on the touch screen are super easy to use
  • The 24-240 is a beast of a lens. It’s a bit too big for this body and a bit too heavy. When set down, the lens barrel is too big in diameter for the body, so it sits on the lens barrel. I think I'm going to add the RP baseplate. The lens also vignettes so bad at 24mm that if you look at the uncorrected RAW, you can see the image circle doesn’t cover the sensor! But I love it and still produces more detail than my m43 kit. I am likely going to get two fast primes (35/1.8 and maybe 85/2 macro) and that’s about all I need.
  • I am thinking of getting a canon m100 or 200 + their excellent m22 lens as the pocket alternative/fast prime to pair with the superzoom.
  • The new CRAW CR3 file option produces 24MP RAW files the same size as my 16MP m43 files (about 25MB), but a lot cleaner and more detailed (albeit at a lossy compressed format)

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2014
Boston Burbs
David
.......The new CRAW CR3 file option produces 24MP RAW files the same size as my 16MP m43 files (about 25MB), but a lot cleaner and more detailed (albeit at a lossy compressed format)
Be careful with Lossy compression. I've run into a few applications over the years that have problems with Lossy (at least Nikon and Adobe Lossy for sure). Is there a Lossless setting? I know Nikon does and I can't remember ever having any issue with that setting.

Last edited:

wt21

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2010
Be careful with Lossy compression. I've run into a few applications over the years that have problems with Lossy (at least Nikon and Adobe Lossy for sure). Is there a Lossless setting? I know Nikon does and I can't remember ever having any issue with that setting.
Yes, there is a lossless option. Good to know, though, so thanks!

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Jul 13, 2011
Lexington, VA
Steve
Neat. It strikes me as a more modern version of the original A7, which I really liked. It also seems pretty light. I noticed that Canon has a nice set of adaptors for their extensive catalog of older lenses. I’ve been shooting with the X100V and even the old EP1/2 so I have again learned to live without IBIS. As a former mu43 user, it took a little time to get the technique back.

wt21

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2010
I finally found a refurb RF35 on the canon site. Awaiting its arrival. The 24-240 is a nice lens, but it’s a heavy combo. Interested in what the RP is like with this 35 attached

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom