Fuji Anyone else wishing for X100s+interchangeable lens?

Well, the WCL-X100 gives you a 28mm-equivalent perspective on the X100/X100s. I'm thinking of getting one myself. I'd love to see a teleconverter in the same style, though. 50mm or 85mm equivalent would be great.

Wouldn't that essentially be the X-E1?

I originally thought the same thing, but the X-E1 has an older CMOS sensor and is lacking the on-sensor phase detection auto focus system that the x100s has. In fact from what I have seen, the X-E1 is closer to the x100 than the x100s, which seems odd since the X-E1 and the x100s were released at about the same time.

In fact from what I have seen, the X-E1 is closer to the x100 than the x100s

Why would you say that? IQ is pretty much identical (same sensor, check out the studio samples at DPR), functionality and interface are very similar. Probably even more so after the next major firmware upgrade for X-Mount cameras.

Why would you say that? IQ is pretty much identical (same sensor, check out the studio samples at DPR), functionality and interface are very similar. Probably even more so after the next major firmware upgrade for X-Mount cameras.

Sorry, the IQ of the X-E1 is outstanding, I did not mean to imply otherwise. I was mainly referring to the X-E1's slower focus speeds. If the X-E1 had the on chip phase detection autofocus system used on the x100s, I would buy it without hesitation.

That being said, the X-E1 actually has neither the same sensor nor processor as the new x100s. According to Fujiusa.com, the X-E1 has a 16MP X-Trans CMOS APS-C sensor and an EXR Pro image processor, the same technology in both the X-Pro-1 and the original x100. The new x100s, on the other hand, has a new version of both, namely the 16MP X-Trans CMOS APS-C sensor II and EXR Pro II image processor.

I haven't used the X100S, but the X-E1 AF is pretty snappy with a lens than AFs quickly, eg 18-55. If you have a lens that AFs slower like the 35/1.4, it's unlikely that any sensor or processor is going to make it a fast focuser.

I haven't used the X100S, but the X-E1 AF is pretty snappy with a lens than AFs quickly, eg 18-55. If you have a lens that AFs slower like the 35/1.4, it's unlikely that any sensor or processor is going to make it a fast focuser.

Thanks, Amin, good to know. I must admit, having shot Nikon for the last 7 years, I know very little about Fuji glass. I would have thought the fast 35mm prime was ablet to AF faster than the slower zoom. My intent is to play with the two as soon as they are available in local retail stores and then make a decision.

Some one already mentioned it, but X100 series done similarly to Sigma's DP Merrill series would be enticing. Covering an event (weddings, etc), photographers rarely work with just one camera body and a variety of lenses. Usually two camera bodies are used with different lenses attached (simply because switching between two bodies is quicker than swapping lenses). With the size advantage of the X100 series, it would be easy to carry two bodies (maybe three). One body with a 35mm/50mm lens and a second with 75mm/90mm lens would cover a lot of ground. Throw in a cheap m4/3 with a fisheye lens in the bag for the obligatory moody shots and you'd have a really fraking awesome kit.

for me what makes the X100 (and presumably the "S") so great is the simple physical controls on a beautiful body and NO interchangeable lenses. There are a PLETHORA of great systems out there for those who like to change lenses. The X100(s) is unique(ish) and that's why I like it.

Sorry, the IQ of the X-E1 is outstanding, I did not mean to imply otherwise. I was mainly referring to the X-E1's slower focus speeds. If the X-E1 had the on chip phase detection autofocus system used on the x100s, I would buy it without hesitation.

That being said, the X-E1 actually has neither the same sensor nor processor as the new x100s. According to Fujiusa.com, the X-E1 has a 16MP X-Trans CMOS APS-C sensor and an EXR Pro image processor, the same technology in both the X-Pro-1 and the original x100. The new x100s, on the other hand, has a new version of both, namely the 16MP X-Trans CMOS APS-C sensor II and EXR Pro II image processor.

It's the same sensor, just with newer processing and PDAF masks over 142k green pixels (that actually degrade IQ, but you won't see that in your images as the IQ loss is compensated by named processing).

Back