anyone familiar with CrowdMedia

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
I received a note through flickr from a representative of CrowdMedia. I will share the body of the message. I am not so naive to think it means I have any decent photos (or commercially viable ones) and assume they have sent this message to tens of thousands of users figuring they follow the "throw everything against the wall and see what sticks" approach. Does anyone have any opinions on this? I need to check out the website and see what they are all about, but I'd be interested in other folks' opinions.....informed or otherwise.

"You take beautiful, authentic photos and I'd love to add some of your Flickr photos to CrowdMedia's collection in a profile made just for you, with your copyright and your attribution.

CrowdMedia is a new place where thousands of photographers like you reveal how they see our world and get their photos discovered by publishers.

To help you get more visibility, we might push some of your photos to editorial publishers (no commercial use).
If they select your photo, they pay a fee and we share half the revenue with you through Paypal. There is no work for you, we take care of everything.

You automatically get a link back to your Flickr with your CrowdMedia profile. And you can add a link to your personal website as well in your CrowdMedia profile.

It is always free for photographers. There is no obligation. You can opt-out when you want in 2 clicks.

If you want to try, all you have to do is answer Yes and I will send your photos’ link in crowdmedia.co when it is done."

Better than 500px which takes something like 70%

It then depends on which is better viewed - 500 px would not restrict to just 1 or 2 sales which is how I read Crowdmedia

The other factors involved are how do you know of an approach? What would be a good rate? How prompt is payment? etc etc

Flattering to be asked though - doesn't happen with my Photobucket

There was a thread on the Flickr help forum about these folk earlier this year. a search for crowdmedia will probably find it

70% or 50% is very high, for just hosting your images

I'm not disagreeing with you, Bob. That does seem high, but I have nothing to compare it to.

And it also seems like they do "all the work" (driving eyeballs to the photos). I'm not into stock photography and i have no interest in devoting ANY time into marketing my photos (or shooting easily marketable photos......that seems even MORE like work). It seems like I tick a checkbox and very likely nothing happens (the same thing that is happening now) or some clown who knows nothing about photography bumps into a photo that I took that he/she thinks is good and pays them for it. I do absolutely nothing and get half of the action.

I understand, i just doubt how much marketing per image they do. Most stock photos just sit in a catalog of some kind, waiting for somebody who has interest in some subject or another. It seems to me the only service they really do is establish the rights, usage and price. I also understand something is more than nothing.
I'm not disagreeing with you, Bob. That does seem high, but I have nothing to compare it to.

And it also seems like they do "all the work" (driving eyeballs to the photos). I'm not into stock photography and i have no interest in devoting ANY time into marketing my photos (or shooting easily marketable photos......that seems even MORE like work). It seems like I tick a checkbox and very likely nothing happens (the same thing that is happening now) or some clown who knows nothing about photography bumps into a photo that I took that he/she thinks is good and pays them for it. I do absolutely nothing and get half of the action.

Just received an email back from them, this was part of the message Luke.

Your CrowdMedia profile is activated and ready for you! In the coming weeks, we’ll begin adding some of your photos to your profile, with your attribution and your copyright.

To see your profile, go to crowdmedia.co
Sign in with Flickr (to verify your identity)
Authorize the Flickr popup (we will NEVER use your private Flickr content)
Complete your info.

You will receive a weekly email telling you which photos we choose. If you disagree with our choice, you can remove any photo in one click, it takes a couple of seconds. This way, you control which photos are on CrowdMedia.

Back