News Anyone for a Digipod?

Let me take you back to the early 1990s ... (wobbly dissolve) ... your narrator is still engaged in a previous career as a consultant in electronic messaging systems ... he has some hair still, a 60-a-day ciggie habit, and a Lotus Elan S2 ... "the internet" is starting to take off a bit, but we still have to compile web-servers from source code ... mobile (cell) 'phones are common in business but still haven't exploded onto the mass market in the UK ... our small company is known for innovative thinking and doing stuff others (including the likes of Lotus - remember them? - and IBM) won't touch ... we are approached by a couple of young geezers who have an idea about connecting this "SMS" thing that mobiles have to the web ... well, of course, we looked at their idea, discussed it amongst ourselves, and politely turned them down ... I mean, who was ever going to type in stupid little 160-character messages on a stupid little 'phone keyboard, let alone then want to put them on the internet?

My long winded point being, of course, that just because I don't think something is a good idea doesn't mean it isn't or doesn't have commercial possibilities; saying the Digipod isn't an SLR or isn't "full-frame" is missing the point. No-one will want it as an alternative to other cameras, but they might easily buy one as an additional camera .. it might be (God Forbid) FUN...

By George, he's got it! :)

I remember a few years ago being on a very long-winded risk assessment conference call at work. At stake at that time was new business for about GBP1.5m of services. It was being talked out of existence by those who had never realised that you cannot climb to the heights with both hands clasped to your arse... I lost my patience and pointed out that "...if the original amoeba hadn't thought it was worth it, we would all still be living in primprdial swamps..." The deal was approved, went on to be project of the year and grew to an over GBP10m revenue stream.

I'm backing this, too... ;)

Well I think it's a cracking idea. I have always wondered why no one has ripped apart a digital camera and stuffed the innards into a film slr. I have built a couple kit cars and many of my friends back then were also into putting motorbike engines in Mini's, Austin A35's etc and modern car engines in old cars from the 50's/60's/70's is quite common. So why not cameras. I think he has a long way to go and I also think the sensor should be full frame but my hat goes off to the guy for doing it!!

I posted a pic of the Elan somewhere in the "remarkable cars" thread ages ago, but as you know Luke m'boy, a picture of me is a raaaaaare thing indeed ... :cool:

Back