Anyone game for a Single in January 2018 (SiG18) challenge?

I did something similar for the challenge a couple of years ago, Olympus E-P5, 17mm F1.8 lens and sooc only, no editing. It was hard! 31 days on the trot, composition became vitally important.
I agree with Ray - however, I find this phenomenon a worthwhile part of the challenge; but for SiJ (and similar challenges), I would probably never have gotten to the bottom of what some of my gear can do.

M.

SOOC jpegs is not a requirement of the challenge, of course. This is particularly hard for those using small sensor cameras in the diminished sunlight of the northern hemisphere. Of course, you could do a whole series of indoor coffee mug shots.

Fairly (unfairly) did a bit of recon last night while on the road to yet another holiday bash with people I don't know :rolleyes-74: and later found a paper map and make notes to come back and preferably under what lighting. It's torture doing this when you're the driver and have to be somewhere reasonably on time. The missus knew the look in my eye and gave me "Don't even think about stopping here" glance.:shakehead:

I'll not use SOOC JPEGs after all - mostly because sometimes, even in mid-winter, you can get nice colours, and then some ... And to be honest, I'll also carry the G1X III most of the time for two reasons: to be able to shoot in inclement weather (though the V1 is pretty well suited for that too) and for the cases I need a different FoV; but I'll only use it as an emergency tool for SiJ. However, if feasible, I'll forego other digital image taking altogether (but that could prove difficult - I'm often required to shoot events ...), including using other cameras, even the G1X III.

On that matter: Further/additional shooting of whatever type is of course allowed - you don't have to limit yourself to the SiJ related shooting. But SiJ takes priority - whatever I do, I'll first and foremost shoot for SiJ, and try to stay focused on that. But I'll probably carry a film camera at all times as well because I'm more or less planning for a FiJ (Film in January) alongside the SiJ - if I can wrap my head around how to solve the ensuing issues, like bag space and film choice to meet difficult conditions. If I do that, I'll use a single film camera for a whole month exclusively - it's been quite some time since the last time I did this ... but I have the right one for the job this time.

The first two to three days will be slightly different, however: in Vienna, I'll shoot loads - it's a photo trip, after all, and it'll be film and digital ...

M.

I am still trying to decide if I should play. I just finished a Nifty-Fifty Meme today, over at Nikon Cafe - shoot a normal 50mm for week fifty of the year. By the end of one week, I was glad it was over. It made me realize how much I like stretching or compressing distance with wides and teles. Shooting for a week with nothing on the front of the camera but a manual focus 50mm, was tough, though I think it helped me stay focused on composition.
If I decide to have a go, I will use a LUMIX GX1 with 14mm. The GX1 hasn't got much love lately, so it will be good for both of us.

The last time around I used the X-Pro1, and XF35 F1.4. It gave me the versatility I needed. I'm still weighing out the system selection process and the consequences. A small part of me wants to go with the M-E or R-D1s and live in pure rangefinder-land for the month. But acknowledging the limitations and the nasty weather in northern Vermont right now I'm still in decision mode.
. . .David

Last edited:
Or maybe not.
:(
The rear screen of my LX100 has been damaged. While I use the EVF to shoot, the rear panel is useful for adjusting settings so I should get it fixed. However I figure I'm more likely to see snow in January than I am to see my LX100 repaired in time for the challenge.
That's a bummer - and it sure takes it out of you if something like that happens. I hope you find a way to join in all the same.

Still on the fence on using the E-P5 with 20mm or Coolpix A...
I have been using the E-P5 this week and I have mixed feelings about it.
After having the EM1 II for a while, the E-P5 sensor seems a bit limited.

It is going to come down to a last minute choice on the 31st.

I'll shoot "a frame a day" of film alongside the SiJ; if nothing else, it'll give me a documentary shot a day at least (something I'll do to make waiting for the developed film a bit easier) of the camera and its subject. Due to the 21mm-e lens of the film camera (a Lomo LC-A 120) and the 50mm-e lens of the V1, that alone could be quite interesting.

M.

Back