Anyone game for a Single in January 2018 (SiG18) challenge?

I think I'm getting out of film. I flipped the Fuji GS645S and delivered it in time to help make a young lad quite happy Christmas morning. The cameras I have left aren't highly valuable, so I'll just place them in a place of honor on my display shelf. I have a couple of rolls left, and once done, my celluloid days are behind me. I'll probably carry my 35RC with its last roll of film during SIJ, just to run out the roll.

My last film camera and my first SLR is the Pentax SP500 that sits on the shelf in my office. You can see it if you look on the right hand side of my office panorama in the latest image challenge. :rofl:

Well this is the straw that broke the camel's back. This is what happens when you let your 16 year old son borrow your Olympus E-P5.

IMG_1727.jpg

So I think I'm out for this year. Not only is my chosen gear now unavailable, I'm also doing a bit of traveling in January. To say I'd be using one camera or one camera/lens combo would be a lie, if you include the iPhone, I'll be using 3 different cameras. What I will try to do if I can get internet access where I am is encourage all of you in that really difficult last week!

On the gear front, I think this also signifies my exit from m43.

Last edited:
Well this is the straw that broke the camel's back. This is what happens when you let your 16 year old son borrow your Olympus E-P5.

View attachment 131315

So I think I'm out for this year. Not only is my chosen gear now unavailable, I'm also doing a bit of traveling in January. To say I'd be using one camera or one camera/lens combo would be a lie, if you include the iPhone, I'll be using 3 different cameras. What I will try to do if I can get internet access where I am is encourage all of you in that really difficult last week!

OUCH! I guess it will be a while before you lend the 16 yr old any of your other cameras :( A shame you wont be in the challenge, but life comes first. Enjoy your travels!!

View attachment 131315

We look forward to seeing your travel pics.

Yeow. You have my sympathies. My youngest killed the P&S my wife used a great deal, so I replaced it with a robust WR unit that didn't cost a lot but effectively did the same job. Hope you come join in anyway with whatever you have on hand!

Well, I'm still participating but the EOS M is O-U-T. I shot the heck out of it during the holidays, and as much as I like ergonomics (even with the huge EVF wart on top), the AF is ridiculously slow, even with the phase array points. I'm sticking with the Fujis. Now it's a matter of picking either the 32 or the 56. I might try and shoot the 56 just to really torture myself LOL, love the bokeh and speed, but finding short tele subjects daily will make me crazy.

View attachment 131315

Ouch ... took you off the list; sad to see you go as well. I hope you'll have a good time all the same (I'm pretty sure of it) - and thanks for all support you find yourself in the mood to provide :2thumbs:

M.

Thanks all, it is annoying, but I'm comforted by the following:

1) I haven't been using the E-P5 for a long time. M43 has been overtaken by Fuji for me. It's because I hadn't used the E-P5 in a long time that I wanted to use it for SIJ.

2) This is a first world problem.

3) Whilst I'm atheist, it does feel as if this is some sort of subliminal message that I have too much gear :D. At least it was the least used of my gear that was affected.

I recall commenting when the very first SIJ was proposed to run in January 2012 that for those of us in the northern hemisphere it posed a second challenge in terms of short days and possible inclement weather on top of the challenge of taking meaningful pictures every day. For my area it turned out to be an unusual January with only three wet days as I recall. On the first wet day I waited in a neighbours garden to photograph the service bus coming through the village on it's 2.5 hour journey from Dartmouth to Plymouth. It was as usual a few minutes late and in that time despite precautions both myself and the camera were quite wet. The other two days I lamely took a photograph indoors.
120103-1020159.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The 30 day forecast for this January is very different with an Atlantic airstream dominating the weather. It's predicted to be milder than normal, cloudier than normal, windier than normal and wetter than normal, so most days are likely to see periods of rain and strong to gale force winds. I have therefore decided that rather than volunteer to be a masochist and force myself to go out on what will clearly be days when you wouldn't venture out with photography in mind I will withdraw now rather than fail to complete the month.

Good luck to all taking part.

Barrie

Last edited:
I have to confess, Bobby, that was my first choice of kit too. What put me off is that it is not a compact setup and I already have a number of business meetings confirmed in the New Year at which a camera would be less than welcome. It's the X100F for me for that very reason.

Just to continue messing with MoonMind’s list, I’m changing my mind again. Canon G9X it is. Pocketability triumphs over all else for another SIJ challenge. For now.
Do whatever you like - keeps me on my toes (after well over 29'000 steps today, that's definitely a necessity ;)). You make it more difficult for me to stick with my prime lens choice, though - but I'll persevere (I've done it before, it's doable, and the V1 is a much better performer than most people will admit ...).

M.

Well, I'll either go old or new: Nikon 1 V1 with 18.5mm f/1.8 prime or Canon G1X III; I'm leaning towards the former - but since I carry the latter anyway, I would like to get the most out it.

On the other hand, the V1 would fit the spirit of the whole affair a lot better. And it's actually a very reliable little camera.

I could even pick the Panasonic GF1 with 20mm f/1.7 - but that'd be sort of more of the same :) :mu43: have figured prominently in my first couple of SiJs) - and I did "outdated" in 2017 (the Canon S95). On the other hand, the FZ1000 is too big for me to use as an EDC - versatile though it is.

Curiously, the V1 doesn't feel outdated at all - it's a nifty little camera, and the 18.5mm lens is great.

M.

That GF1 with 20mm f1.7 is still a useful street setup!

@all

I'll compile a final list tomorrow morning, 10:00 CET+1 (Vienna time ;)) and post to a different thread to make it more visible. You can consider this a last roll call. As a matter of course, I'll leave the honours of starting the first image thread to one of our mates down under; I'll not act as any kind of game-master, either (that'd be too much like my day job, anyway).

And now: Let's play - and good luck to all :)

M.

Back