Anyone game for a Single in January 2018 (SiG18) challenge?

Matt,
OK, I'm in as previously mentioned however here's my camera and lens combination - Fuji X-E2 and Zeiss Touit 32mm f1.8. The weather up in northern Vermont is too nasty right now to run around with a rangefinder. OK, now I've done it.
. . . David

I have to confess, Bobby, that was my first choice of kit too. What put me off is that it is not a compact setup and I already have a number of business meetings confirmed in the New Year at which a camera would be less than welcome. It's the X100F for me for that very reason.

Since the weather here is painful, I'll probably be doing a lot of portraits and candids. Ordering a new c stand may affect that also. I know you will do great work with the x100F.

Do whatever you like - keeps me on my toes (after well over 29'000 steps today, that's definitely a necessity ;)). You make it more difficult for me to stick with my prime lens choice, though - but I'll persevere (I've done it before, it's doable, and the V1 is a much better performer than most people will admit ...).

M.

I'm contemplating a return to the v1, but maybe with the 10mm f/2.8. I hefted the FZ1000 yesterday and my poor old wrists said "nope, not doing that anymore".

Final decision tonight, as its already NYE here (though only 7:40am). Its between teh GRD3 and the V1 or J1 with 10mm (27mm eq)

Last edited:
120103-1020159-jpg.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm loving this image. I'm going to be there early Feb and that's exactly how I'm envisioning it will be. I've decided to be positive about it.

40mm? Voigtländer or Leica? Or Nikon? ;) I guess you're talking about the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, right?

@all
I think you might want to check the list anyway - I'm not sure I've caught everything.

M.
Yes Yes, I always think in terms of the effective focal length.
Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II

Thanks
Don

40mm? Voigtländer or Leica? Or Nikon? ;) I guess you're talking about the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, right?

@all
I think you might want to check the list anyway - I'm not sure I've caught everything.

M.
Final decision, because my purpose this year is simply to be able to get out of the house at least once a day... V1 plus 10-30mm. I know a zoom is kind of cheating but oh well, thats my decision. Now I better go charge up the battery! Its only 6 hours til midnight.

okay, my camera choice will be whichever one that I can find a matching charger and battery to go with it. A wise photographer would have kept them altogether, unfortunately I’m a scatty one who leaves everything lying disorganised behind my butt!

Well, I'll either go old or new: Nikon 1 V1 with 18.5mm f/1.8 prime or Canon G1X III; I'm leaning towards the former - but since I carry the latter anyway, I would like to get the most out it.

On the other hand, the V1 would fit the spirit of the whole affair a lot better. And it's actually a very reliable little camera.

I could even pick the Panasonic GF1 with 20mm f/1.7 - but that'd be sort of more of the same :) :mu43: have figured prominently in my first couple of SiJs) - and I did "outdated" in 2017 (the Canon S95). On the other hand, the FZ1000 is too big for me to use as an EDC - versatile though it is.

Curiously, the V1 doesn't feel outdated at all - it's a nifty little camera, and the 18.5mm lens is great.

M.

V1 + 18.5 is a potent little combo!

Back