Anyone have experience with trail cameras?

Kevin

Code Monkey 🐒
OK, it's a bit of an unusual camera type for around here, but anybody have experience with trail cameras?

Here's what I'm thinking about... a family member will soon be having some construction work done at their house, both inside & out. I'm thinking it'd be pretty neat if I was to strap a couple of trail cameras up during the construction so that I could create a time lapse video up at the end of. OK, yeah, it'd be a crude & simple time lapse but still neat I think.

Most of the work will be done in a house basement and outside of the house so I'm thinking two cameras, one strapped to a pole in the basement and the other strapped to a tree outside facing the house. Since the construction guys will be there only during the day, unless there's something gong on, ideally then the cameras could be set to take a pic every X amount of time during the day hours (dawn to dusk) while being in their normal motion activated mode during night hours (dusk to dawn).

Thoughts? Recommended gear? Setting up some 'real' cameras with intervalometers would be such an overkill that I couldn't even come close to justifying spending any money on that gear. A couple of cheap trail cameras, on the other hand, might always come in handy for misc. experiments/fun in the future.

I’ve had a little experience with these type of cameras. Enough to know that if I wanted to do the same I would go for a GoPro set up. Even the cheapest do pretty good time lapse. You would of course need to improvise a means of powering them.

most trail cameras are triggered by motion to only take photos when there are critters to photograph. This camera seems designed almost perfectly for what you want to do.

Plotwatcher Pro
That is a lot of trail camera options! :D I'm going through the various 'tests & reviews' pages now.

I’ve had a little experience with these type of cameras. Enough to know that if I wanted to do the same I would go for a GoPro set up. Even the cheapest do pretty good time lapse. You would of course need to improvise a means of powering them.
I hadn't thought of a GoPro and, while I would've normally used this as an excuse to pick one up, the basement area of the house will be an area that I likely won't have access to for a month or so during construction so I'm thinking it might not be the best choice for that. Outside I'll have full access but inside I'll need a 'set & forget' setup as I'll be at the whim of the construction crew in regards to AC power and access. Poking around I see a ton of accessories for the GoPro to use in trail environments but, oddly, no external battery options for extended unattended use. If I find a cheap solution for power I just might have to look into picking up a cheap older GoPro. :)

We bought an inexpensive trail camera a while back to try and figure out who and/or what was walking around the side of our townhouse nightly.
Well, 'never really figured that out but got this wondrous image I like to call "Skunk in a Snowstorm". :rolleyes-74:
. . . David
Skunk-in-the-Snow-Storm.jpg

Back