Leica Anyone here bought the SL

SL-part1 | LEICAgraphy

Erwin chose an interesting lead-in for his Leica SL article with size being first-up. The SL is larger than the M series rangefinders, and larger than Sony full-frame mirrorless cameras. Compared with a D810 or Canon 5Ds for size, those cameras have to accommodate the reflex viewfinder- but more importantly, size was not a concern to designers.

The SL is not a rangefinder camera. Size of the camera is not a concern to the designers. This is not a camera for someone that shoots with a Leica rangefinder camera because of the compact size of the body and lenses. Wait for the next M series camera to come out, see what it has to offer. If Leica screws that one up, prices of lightly used cameras will drop as Steve herds their owners to buy the next great thing.

yes i think thats interesting about Puts's lead in-- because its a leica and its mirrorless, so the size is an issue for most users of either and he recognizes the obvious. sure it may not be bigger than a dslr--though again not when coupled with the kit zoom--but we should remember the SL is not a dslr!!! so no, its not a rangefinder, but it equally is not a dslr! it is a mirrorless camera, and as such, meaningful size comparisons should as a matter of fairness be done within that class. i dont understand comparing it against something its not, unless it is done to support a predetermined conclusion. i carried around big heavy slrs and then dslrs for years. the mirrorless 'revolution' centered around dslr quality without breaking your back and without making the photographer an object of muffled chuckles by the rest of the world as he trudges by with a mountaineers backpack full of metal and glass. again, that circumstance is a matter of choice and im sure there are many good reasons to make that choice. i wish success and enjoyment to all those who do. just dont say it aint big.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be that some reviewers of cameras and lenses want the cash flow to continue somehow, and they need to support new products. Steve Huff's reply to the comments is unacceptably rude and it turns people off from even thinking of buying or using an SL camera.

Unfortunately, I've seen far worse on some large and highly visible Leica forums.

I used to visit Steve's forum quite a bit but lately, I noticed that he tends to always give nothing but praise to the latest and greatest. Whether it be from Sony, Leica or Olympus. Incredible how each and everything new from these vendors are all better than anything from the past.

I don't mind Steve and his overall schtick. He has no credibility, but I still enjoy the occasional read. Won't make the mistake of commenting over there again, however.

I find the SL interesting and I hope it's a success for Leica (anything that keeps them making cameras and lenses!). But at least for me I have a hard time envisioning buying one to use with M lenses currently, when you can get a Sony A7 body for a fraction of the cost and get equivalent or better sensor performance. You'd have to be absolutely in love with the SL design & form factor to bite on one now I would think.

If the sensor was groundbreaking, there was more than one lens, and/or the price was considerably lower I think the SL would be a lot more enticing. As it stands now it's in the "early adopter" system phase IMO. In a year or two when prices are a bit lower and some used models are on the secondary market, that could be a different story. Especially as the lens stable grows over time.

Steve H did something to me a while ago when I commented on an FB post (?). As a result, I stopped following him. I occasionally look at videos he posts but I agree, it's rude and unnecessary.

I may have read some of his reviews over the years, with maybe two readings per year at most. Such rude feedback is unwarranted and unacceptable. I would say, move on to someone else's website who is a better person.

Of all the various reviewers and websites, I think "The Camera Store" guys do a pretty quality job of their reviews on youtube and they've never shouted at me once :D

I may have read some of his reviews over the years, with maybe two readings per year at most. Such rude feedback is unwarranted and unacceptable. I would say, move on to someone else's website who is a better person.

My experience, outside of this site and Photographer's Lounge, is that Leica sites are chock full of bad.

When considering any reviewers advice look at their photos. Then you will know how much weight their advice or review really merits. I see a lot of reviewers out there that just seem to carry a large microphone for their opinions, but you see little in the way of better photography as a result of using this new equipment.

But at least for me I have a hard time envisioning buying one to use with M lenses currently, when you can get a Sony A7 body for a fraction of the cost and get equivalent or better sensor performance.
I agree that it makes not much sense to buy a SL exclusively to use with M lenses basically because it seems that it does not really match the M performance... but I think that you cannot compare it with the "phenomenal" smearing coming from the "king size width" of the Sony's 2.5mm IR blocking. Sony needs native or reflex giants to perform... ;)

I agree that it makes not much sense to buy a SL exclusively to use with M lenses basically because it seems that it does not really match the M performance... but I think that you cannot compare it with the "phenomenal" smearing coming from the "king size width" of the Sony's 2.5mm IR blocking. Sony needs native or reflex giants to perform... ;)

I suppose that's partially true, assuming the SL is a marked improvement over the A7 series in that regard (I haven't looked for test results of M lenses on the SL, since I wasn't in the market). Personally I didn't have any problems and certainly not any "phenomenal smearing" with any of my M lenses on my A7 or A7II, but it's pretty lens dependent. Obviously if you own heavily affected lenses then it's a bigger issue to weigh into consideration.

And of course there's the still massively cheaper option of getting a Kolari-converted A7 with thinner sensor glass installed as well.

Not saying the SL isn't good, just that for the price and the limited functionality at the present time I'd think it's relegated to a (very) small niche of people that either just have to have it regardless, or have a stable of M lenses they for some reason don't want to use on a rangefinder. I'm not sure why one would have built up a collection of M glass if you don't want to shoot an M *and* you find the adapted performance sub-par, but that's a separate question I guess :p

...assuming the SL is a marked improvement over the A7 series in that regard...
Well, it seems that's the way, see Jono Slack review and comparison, there are others also around:

The Leica SL a field report Jonathan Slack October 2015

And of course there's the still massively cheaper option of getting a Kolari-converted A7 with thinner sensor glass installed as well.

It seems that Kolari has clearly the best IQ/price ratio, but if you want to peak performance, still lags behind the M, although it seems that is becoming "too" close to passion... ;) :

M lens performance on the SL - Page 5 - Leica SL System

In any case, I will really wait for an M-UP, the Ultimate Phototool, an MP film body, with no external LCD display (a la M60) and with the Dalsa Teledyne FTF7046 CCDs exchangeable via the rear panel access from bayer to monochrome... ;) :)

This is not good at all, Amin. I am one of those who believe in the value of the older lenses and cameras.

Hi @raid , I didn't understand you here. Did I say something to disparage older cameras or lenses?

Back