Leica Anyone here fixed vertical alignment on an M9 before?

Amin

Hall of Famer
My new (to me) M9 rangefinder patch is a hair off in vertical alignment. Focus is still bang on, but it's a bit annoying to have the vertical alignment off because it makes it just a bit less crisp when things are aligned, and as a result I'm less sure of my focus. Has anyone done the adjustment themselves for this? I just got the camera and don't love the idea of sending it off for a service.

Leica FAQ — Rangefinder adjustment

M9 vertical alignment is off.

I have NOT had to do that on any of the Digital RF's. If the camera is under warranty- send it in for the adjustment. From what I am reading, the adjustment screw is under the red dot, is possibly glued into position, and requires a special tool for adjustment. I've adjusted vertical and horizontal on many other cameras, the Leicas CL being the worst to do.

I knew about the M8 bought recently- did not know you went and bought an M9.

Amin, I had to adjust the vertical alignment on my M8 when I owned that but I'm not sure if the M9 is the same process or not. I had to gently pivot the red dot back and forth to soften the glue, then remove it. I bought a tool off eBay for $50 and then adjusted the mechanism by trial an error. The dot is reapplied in the same way it was removed. I hope this helps.

I've done the rangefinder near and infinity adjustments on both my M9's but never the vertical. I had one adjusted while it was in repair for a new sensor. I guess I'm too stingy to buy the $50.00 tool. But the process seems simple enough with a drop of acetone to loosen the adjuster for a few minutes.

With all things Leica it just needs a little patience and a steady hand.

Gordon

The Nikon Rangefinder mechanism uses a Set Screw to hold the vertical adjustment. No glue/acetone required. I am comfortable adjusting the Nikons, Canons, Barnack Leicas. I "cringe" at the idea of dropping acetone into a Digital camera.

I've done the rangefinder near and infinity adjustments on both my M9's but never the vertical. I had one adjusted while it was in repair for a new sensor. I guess I'm too stingy to buy the $50.00 tool. But the process seems simple enough with a drop of acetone to loosen the adjuster for a few minutes.

With all things Leica it just needs a little patience and a steady hand.

Gordon

$50 didn't seem too bad compared to the (up to) $500 I was quoted by our Leica reseller to adjust it.

Back