Leica Anyone here not use an autofocus camera system, ever?

Amin

Hall of Famer
Excluding phone cameras, anyone here not use an autofocus camera at all?

I'm thinking about selling off my Micro 4/3 kit and using only Leica M. Part of me thinks I should keep an autofocus system around for days when I need that, but I don't think there will be many such days.

I wouldn't say ever, but my autofocus camera use has dwindled to perhaps 1%. I still own a Canon EOS system, but that only gets used for some documentary work I do for the Puerto Rico Museum of Contemporary Art and for the odd flash picture. All of my personal work is done on the M9P, or on any of my film cameras, none of which are autofocus.

Once I got over the fear of shooting dance and performance pieces on the M9P, I found that I could live without autofocus.

I sold my m4/3 kit weeks after I bought the M9P and have not regretted it for a second. The only thing that keeps me from selling the Canon system is that Live View is extremely useful for accurate framing of exhibition hall photos for the Museum. Tried to do it with the M9P and the 18mm Distagon, but framing was too hit and miss. The day I get a M 240 (or its successor) will probably be the day the Canon goes.

Cheers,

Antonio

I only use mu4/3 for macro or to use the Panny FE, which is becoming very rare. If my wife were more comfortable using our M system, I probably would have already sold off the rest of our mu4/3 system.

Excluding phone cameras, anyone here not use an autofocus camera at all?

I'm thinking about selling off my Micro 4/3 kit and using only Leica M. Part of me thinks I should keep an autofocus system around for days when I need that, but I don't think there will be many such days.

:eek:

The Leica bug bit you HARD, huh? :D

I can actually relate... I'm definitely not selling off my AF camera systems to go all manual, but I have been truly pleasantly surprised how effective I've found shooting manual focus with Leica lenses. It's pretty rare that I actually feel let down by not having AF.

Good luck whatever you decide Amin!

I still have an old Lumix G1 but no M 4/3 lens. None of my lens are AF right now. I have a bunch or M and R lens that I used with both the G1 and the M 240. My daughter still have her Nikon V1 however that she share with my wife.

In terms of macro, I get awesome result with the 60mm Elmarit whether it is on the G1 or the M 240. Here are a couple I took with the G1 and the 60mm Elmarit last week.

14694429765_be591e675a_b.jpg

P1100479.jpg by VINCEKTAN, on Flickr

14714295483_c5713b1806_b.jpg

P1100492.jpg by VINCEKTAN, on Flickr

Do you ever hand a camera to your wide or kids- want them to take some pictures? I keep an EM-1 with the 17/2.8 and clip on flash, had an EPL-1 that I gave to my Nephew going to Japan. I also have the Nikon df- and keep an AF lens around for when i might hand it to Nina or Nikki to use.

Myself- manual focus 98% of the time.

My wife pretty much sticks to using her iPhone, and the kids have their own cameras now. Occasionally I had a camera to a stranger to take a photo of my whole family, but I find that setting the focus on the M and then telling them to just push the shutter works fine.

I'll probably end up with the Leica M and the Micro 4/3s... I'm seriously contemplating in bidding goodbye to my Nikon. But I still can't imagine leaving Micro 4/3s just that. It's too useful for everyday and travel, and as a sidekick to the rangefinder. Today, I've taken the MM+90 and GM1+PL15, t'was nice... (Don't leave Micro 4/3s!)

I like the size and looks of the E-M5 better than the E-M1 and sold the 42.5 some time ago in favor of the 45/1.8 and 75/1.8 combo.

My keepers for the E-M5 are P14 and O45, so very similar to you (y)

It does bother me a little that I'm using different focal lengths with the two systems :rolleyes2:.

Back