Fuji Anyone owned/used both X100S and X-E1?

jloden

All-Pro
Name
Jay
Hey all,

I owned the X100 initially, but decided I couldn't get on with a fixed 35mm equivalent FOV and some of the quirks of the AF system, parallax with the optical finder, and so forth. When the X-E1 came out I thought Fuji had made the perfect blend of X-Pro1 and X100 features I wanted, and I snapped one up. To make a long story short, I've somehow managed in the space of a year to go from a confirmed 50mm equivalent shooter to loving 35mm and 28mm equivalent FOV instead, and the X100S is looking attractive all over again. Now that Fuji is talking about delaying the 23mm f/1.4 until as late as 2014, I decided to put in an order for an X100S and give it a go. The catch is, I really only want to keep one X camera in the stable so I'm going to have to pick one!

Which brings me to my question - anybody here own both the X-E1 and X100S and can share their feedback/comparisons? I read through the X100 vs. X100S threads I found but couldn't find anything comparing the X100S with the X-E1. I realize they're pretty different cameras and there aren't many X100S models "in the wild" but I figured if anywhere was a good place to ask, this was it. My main concerns are 1) how much better is the AF, 2) how does the handling compare, and 3) anything else of note going from the X-E1 to the X100S. I already have other interchangeable lens system cameras so it's not a huge concern to me to have a variety of lenses, as long as I have at least one good one ;)

The issues I had with the X100 that I'm most concerned with seeing improved in the X100S are: the AF speed, manual focus usability, and sealing. I had dust in the OVF, specks in the EVF, and a sensor spot - all on fixed lens camera you'd think would be sealed. I'd love to hear any feedback on the above items also... though it's probably early yet to know if dust will be an issue with the new model of course.

I expect the X-E1 to add most firmware enhancements of the X100S with the next software upgrade due in summer, so I don't think the cameras are that different after all. The X100S is a bit more advanced, 14 bit RAW (bigger files), PDAF (faster AF at 5 EV and above when using the 9 central AF fields. That said, the AF trick works with both cameras (and the X20), so this much more of a decision between a fixed lens compact with leaf shutter and a mirrorless camera system with focal plane shutter. You really need do make up your mind about that.

Yeah... I'm holding onto my X-E1 until I've at least tried the X100S before I make up my mind. Honestly, I've got 2 other camera systems already (m4/3 and Nikon) so ultimately what will matter most to me is overall shooting enjoyment. I have other gear to fill in when I need to be able to swap lenses around. In a way I'd almost prefer to have a fixed lens so it's not "competing" with my m4/3 or Nikon gear, but sorta doing its own thing.

Ultimately I'm obviously going to decide when I have the camera in hand... but in the meantime, I'd love to hear anyone else's experiences/insights too :)

The X100S is really fast, and it's a photographer's camera for sure. Plenty of tiny improvements and fixes, actually way more than the 70 official points on Fuji's list. This is X100 2.0.

In a way I'd almost prefer to have a fixed lens so it's not "competing" with my m4/3 or Nikon gear, but sorta doing its own thing.

This is how I feel and why I'm exchanging my X-E1 for an X100s. In the end I couldn't justify having three different system cameras. I also sold my Samyang 35mm f1.4 for my Canon and my Panasonic 20mm f1.7. The X100S will then cover the 35mm FOV (which happens to be my favourite for general shooting) and be my carry everywhere camera. The 5DII will remain for portrait photography with my 50mm and 85mm lenses and my m43 kit will serve as a small travel camera when I need a greater focal range.

This is how I feel and why I'm exchanging my X-E1 for an X100s. In the end I couldn't justify having three different system cameras.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with the same idea, at least it sounds less silly when someone else says it :D

I have the X-E1, and have the X100S on pre-order, due from around March 15th (2013 I hope).
I'll check back in here to let you know my thoughts between the two.

Awesome, mine is supposed to ship about 2 weeks after yours so that would be cool to hear your thoughts. I actually had a ship date of 22nd, then cancelled my order, changed my mind 3 hours later and re-ordered it again - costing me 5 days of wait time :rolleyes:

Back