Anyone planning on shooting the Lunar Eclipse? (16 May 2022)

I got new gear, so I plan to get up a bit early Monday. Here in Catania, the Total Eclipse starts 5:30AM.

Share your pictures! I plan on shooting both my Olympus E-M1.2 and Pentax K-1 with a variety of lenses... 40-150mm f/2.8 and the f/4, and the Pentax-A 135mm f/2.8 and 70-210mm f/4.

This'll be my first eclipse, so any tips are welcome...

Was thinking about it, but it seems that I am only getting a partial one and it is around dawn, so am not sure I`ll bother with it. It will also trash the night, starting at 0332 and peaking at 0432 with moonset 0438.

Was thinking about it, but it seems that I am only getting a partial one and it is around dawn, so am not sure I`ll bother with it. It will also trash the night, starting at 0332 and peaking at 0432 with moonset 0438.
The timings here are fairly similar, and I've got to drive across the country tomorrow, so I wont.
I did shoot the end of the total lunar eclipse back in 2015, my results weren't up to much. I hope to do a better job sometime, but it wouldn't be with the moon so low in tky.

As regards to tips you'll want a LOOONG lens (I used a 900mm equivalent) and have to be prepared for it being pretty dark, hundreds of times dimmer than a full moon. I missed out on totality by having to go in & grab a tripod. 1s, f/5.6 & iso 800 had the red portion of the moon visible but under exposed. With today's cameras you should be able to push the iso higher, which is just as well the moon moves fairly fast across the field of view at these focal lengths.
my best was:
21766714152_ab6d3899f4_z.jpg
Lunar eclipse Sept 28 by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr :(

Last edited:
The timings here are fairly similar, and I've got to drive across the country tomorrow, so I wont.
I did shoot the end of the total lunar eclipse back in 2015, my results weren't up to much. I hope to do a better job sometime, but it wouldn't be with the moon so low in tky.

As regards to tips you'll want a LOOONG lens (I used a 900mm equivalent) and have to be prepared for it being pretty dark, hundreds of times dimmer than a full moon. I missed out on totality by having to go in & grab a tripod. 1s, f/5.6 & iso 800 had the red portion of the moon visible but under exposed. With today's cameras you should be able to push the iso higher, which is just as well the moon moves fairly fast across the field of view at these focal lengths.
my best was:
Lunar eclipse Sept 28 by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr :(
Thanks for the tip! I didn't think about how much darker it would be than a full moon.

Since you're on multiple platforms, here's a question. Since my glass is limited natively to 135mm-210mm, extensible to 2x (at a cost of 2 stops) or 2.2x (at a cost of sharpness), what would you try on M43 (20 megapixels) vs. full-frame (46 megapixels)?

Yeah, sorry to hear your luck this time around... I think partials are cool, though if you don't mind the early morning :). Mine is just about a half-hour earlier than I would normally...

Thanks for the tip! I didn't think about how much darker it would be than a full moon.

Since you're on multiple platforms, here's a question. Since my glass is limited natively to 135mm-210mm, extensible to 2x (at a cost of 2 stops) or 2.2x (at a cost of sharpness), what would you try on M43 (20 megapixels) vs. full-frame (46 megapixels)?
I've had some fairly extreme focal lengths available for decades - I think I got my first 500mm (a cheap f8 mirror lens) back in the late eighties, when everything I shot was FF, and have used that or similar (longer or faster mirrors & a few refractors) lenses on both MFT & APSC as well since (not yet tried them on the pentax Q models with crop factors~5 but I suppose sometime I'll try)
I'd take both & try them. There are many factors other than sensor size that determine low light performance, and your going to have to crop fairly heavily to show the moon at any significant part of the image. If you're shooting at the start of totality you should have plenty of time to try multiple options. Last time I gave up on staying up at 01:30, and didn't wake till near the end of totality. Fast lenses may prove more important than focal length during the dark of totallity

Others have managed very successfully to combine time lapse type shots & include foreground elements something that wants a much wider FOV, and a camera dedicated to the role throughout the eclipse.

Well, I did a "recon." The highest point I have within easy driving distance is a Norman castle in Motta Sant'Agata. And if I were able to actually go up to the top at 5am, that would be absolutely perfect.

Unfortunately, at the base, 240 degrees hits smack into a building :(. I walked all around it, and unfortunately no good view. I found a fairly high ground point on the road with a view in that direction... I'll see how that works out...

Well, I did a "recon." The highest point I have within easy driving distance is a Norman castle in Motta Sant'Agata. And if I were able to actually go up to the top at 5am, that would be absolutely perfect.

Unfortunately, at the base, 240 degrees hits smack into a building :(. I walked all around it, and unfortunately no good view. I found a fairly high ground point on the road with a view in that direction... I'll see how that works out...
Doesn't matter how high the ground is, it won't get you any closer... :laugh1: :hide:

Well, fog. :( I did get one just before the eclipse though...

P5160005.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back