Micro 4/3 Anyone still use an E-P1?

I don't use an E-P1 anymore because I don't have one (bought a GX1) but I WOULD use one. It's still a terrific camera.

Just sold my baby----I got into Micro 4/3 with the E-P1, and I really liked using it a lot. Even after getting the PL1, I shot a lot with the 17mm for street shooting, and with the 17 and 45 for covering indoor events. A beauty, a classic, but since I got the P2 and X100, I never really used it anymore. She's in good hands now!

P5232197.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I realize this is an ancient, antique thread from a thousand years ago or more, but couldn't help chiming in: I actually just bought an old but almost pristine E-P1, with the 17mm pancake lens, and the cool VF-1 (non-EVF) viewfinder. Bought it from a fellow photographer up in Canada who was in the process of cleaning out his overcrowded photo shelves, so it hasn't actually reached me yet. My initial main reason for the purchase was the lens - I had a copy of the 17mm f/2.8 a million years ago and loved it, but sold it unaccountably....and recently found myself missing the 35mm equivalent FOV. So initially I was just looking for the lens. But the camera itself has a certain classical elegance to it. And I have a close friend who is mainly an analog photographer but also shoots digital from time to time, and has the identical camera/lens combination. He always swears that there's something about the E-P1 in terms of its abilities to render color which is superior to the subsequent generations of digital Pens; and having owned several other digital Pens, I can't help but wonder....whether he might, God forbid, be partially right.

I hope to find out when the camera arrives. Stay tuned for further updates....

I still regularly get email alerts from eBay when an E-P1 gets listed. And I have re-bought that camera at least 3 times.....maybe 4. I won't rule out rebuying one again one day. It is a beautiful camera and it's old-ish and slow-ish. But I always liked the way the photos looked that came out of it.

I like the Pens enough. Had a EP1, then the Ep3. After selling all my m43 gear, I succumbed and bought an EP5. They are just the right size look cool. Take my EP5 for travel all the time now.
Still would use and Ep1 if I had one.

Of all cameras I've bought over the year, I won't part with three: the E1 with 14-54, the EP1 with 17 2.8 and the black EM5 with PL25. Those have a special place in my heart in that I occasionally kept shooting with them, even when I've bought a successor. The E1 no longer gets picked up these days (not a fan of big cameras any more), but the EP1 still gets used. I like its output a lot.

Of all cameras I've bought over the year, I won't part with three: the E1 with 14-54, the EP1 with 17 2.8 and the black EM5 with PL25. Those have a special place in my heart in that I occasionally kept shooting with them, even when I've bought a successor. The E1 no longer gets picked up these days (not a fan of big cameras any more), but the EP1 still gets used. I like its output a lot.

Jeff Damron, a fine photographer and contributor/reviewer to the previous iteration of Photographers Loung (SeriousCompacts), recently bought an E-1 and has taken some wonderful pictures with his 'new' (old) E-1, which can be found on one of his photo blogs, "The H-Word" (http://www.the-h-word.com/). Looking at his photos made me realize what a splendid beast the E-1 was...and still is. In one of his pieces, he mentions other reviews of the E-1, by both Ming Thein and Robin Wong - both of whom speak respectfully and glowingly of the attributes of the E-1's CCD Kodak Sensor, one of the legendary and great old-school sensors of all time. Reading what they have to say about the E-1, and looking at some of the pictures they all shot with it, makes me understand, easily, why you won't part with your E1.

But I'm pleased to hear you say that about the EP1.....looking forwards to putting mine through its paces :)

Just got my new E-P1 and it's one sweet camera -

17689964543_3a63228bc5_b.jpg

the new E-P1
by Miguel Tejada-Flores, on Flickr

Another view of it -

17690031343_2dd63e79a1_b.jpg

the new E-P1 #2
by Miguel Tejada-Flores, on Flickr

Have only taken a few photos with it so far, but the results aren't bad - here a monographic conversion -

38399886.7e91a1a9.1024.jpg

Lucy's Foot
by MiguelATF, on ipernity

- a color shot -

38399916.50b02e6a.1024.jpg

Garden Glove

- and finally a close-up -

38399800.c450dfd8.1024.jpg

"a stair unfolds from the main body"

The digital negatives have a definite, and particular, look and feel to them. It's not the most advanced sensor in the world, and the 17mm lens has more critics than advocates. But somehow, the camera + lens + sensor combination seems to work.

So I'm a happy E-P1 camper :)

One more from my new E-P1 + the diminutive 17mm Oly pancake which, as many of us know, is far better than the not-so-stellar reputation it's been (unfairly) saddled with -

38413632.920605e2.1024.jpg

Wrecking Yard

Miguel,
I like this image a lot! There is a definite user friendly-ness to the Pen series. They just feel great in your hands and take excellent images. I think you are going to enjoy using it.

Miguel,
I like this image a lot! There is a definite user friendly-ness to the Pen series. They just feel great in your hands and take excellent images. I think you are going to enjoy using it.

I rather agree, Don. There's something just simply satisfying about the way it fits in my hand/s.
Reminds me quite a bit of an older digital Pen I shot with years ago, an E-PL5, a cool camera. The E-P1 has similar controls and parameters - but feels significantly better buillt than the plastic-bodied PL5. I think it may be a keeper :)

Can't resist posting just one more E-P1 image - it seems to lend itself to the kind of high contrast monochrome shooting that such luminaries as Daido Moriyama explored in his work. Daido used compact Ricohs, of course, and Ricohs and digital Pens are completely different beasts, but as the old saying goes, 'all roads lead to Rome' -

38474624.07cbbfb4.1024.jpg

Nikon Man

Back