Anyone thinking about going-DSLR again?

But there's something to be said for simplifying gear. It lends a lot of clarity. Right now I'm the most confused I've ever been, photography wise.

Almost exactly one year ago, I divested myself of nearly all my DSLR gear, for a variety of reasons. My only photographic tool was a Panny LX5. I've since somewhat rebuilt my kit, but I think (hope) I have grown into a better photographer.

I've waffled back and forth on this for some time, having listed my full frame DSLR for sale on craigslist, then putting it away for some time, but never actually giving it up. I've taken smaller cameras into situations I knew the DSLR would fare better in because I didn't want to carry its weight, and while the photos were acceptable to be, I wasn't as thrilled with them as I would have been had I brought the heavy gear (keeping in mind that my DLSR is still quite light by some comparisons). I shot this past weekend at a cycling event and it just reinforced for me that I really need to keep the DSLR around. I also brought the X100S and got some keepers, but nothing like what I got from my 5DII (with its less than stellar AF) and modest set of lenses. I know cameras like the Nikon mirrorless system have wonderfully fast and accurate AF that can keep up with sports, but I just can't get past the sensor size. I now know that I won't give up my DLSR unless APS-C mirrorless advances in the AF department to be able to match DSLRs for AF tracking of fast moving subjects. Until then I'll just enjoy shooting multiple systems (admittedly though, I hardly touch my m43 gear anymore - I bounce between the X100S and 5DII depending on where I am and what I'm shooting).

No "pull" to a DSLR for me. For larger sensors there are choices from APS-C to full-frame in the non-DSLRs. For performance, I am lusting after the E-M1 which I suppose is a "near" DSLR ...

Although maybe I should wait for that X-E1s for a bit snappier focus and shot-to-shot than I have now.

Large wall prints of landscapes prompt me to dust off FF.

When I retired from commercial photography a couple of years ago, I transitioned over to m4/3 for all of my personal imaging. And I sold all of my medium format and Canon FF gear but, for some reason which I don't really know, I kept one 5DMkII body... even though I had no more lenses for it. Couldn't bring myself to sell it. I guess in the back of my mind I just didn't want to completely close that door, just yet.

Now here I am two years later, with a really large m4/3 system, which I'm enjoying. But I'm thinking I will pick up a Canon 17-40 f/4 for the 5DMkII body, just to use for landscape work which I would print to 40" or so for display in my new home... which has huge walls. So... I still have some applications where the FF sensor would come in handy, and the 5DMkII with 17-40 f/4 would be just the right prescription for that.

For the most part, though, I don't print anything anymore, nor do I shoot action, therefore the best m4/3 gear available today easily meets my general imaging needs. And it would for landscape as well, except perhaps for wall prints to 40" or so.

I do realize I wasn't clear. I meant that the existing thanks were gone so it was either thanking individual posts or taking the easy route, which I did. ;-)
But thanks!
Peter
As you may have noticed by now, they have been moved to the left side :)

Back