anyone up for another month-long Prompts Challenge?

No-one suggested "no talk" ... simply no mention of the camera, lens, film, whatever involbed.

Agreed. That whole "Canon [insert model] does the Flea Market" thing or a "Camera, Lens, Film/Software" tag just takes away from the magic that was actually performed by the photographer. We should be enjoying that photos, not glorifying the gear. And positive feedback definitely encourages the photographer to keep on going.

I'd be interested, but like Kristen, no more than the number of days in the month, and, for me, no posting several dozen images at once. One image, one day, every day, or give it a miss if you can't post that day, nobody will think less of you.

I would also suggest that film users be given a separate thread since they wont be processing one at a time each day, I hated the way film shots overwhelmed the gallery on the day they were posted during the prompts challenge. If they go in the same thread, posts will roll off the page to the next or the next, and its not fair to those who are posting one a day.

Prompts: well... having said all the above, if its prompts like last time, I won't be playing. it was far too restrictive and although I made it for all except one, it felt more like work, than fun, in the end. It was fun at first, but by halfway through I seriously considered forgetting about it (as I think some did).

So how about doing a single (a single anything, just one image, one day) in October, since September is half gone, and have a good think for the next couple of weeks about how it should run. I think starting it in the next few days is too rushed, and not enough planning to go into it.

Sue has a number of good points. But I'm not sure film users want to be segregated in their lonely little thread (correct me if I'm wrong).

Part of the community spirit of taking a photo a day and sharing it is seeing what everyone did and sharing yours ON THAT DAY. And obviously we're all in different time zones and on different days. And I can allow for people's schedules necessitating posting something a day late so there is time to process or whatever. But her point about uploading a roll all on one day would really upset the apple cart. I don't know what another workaround would be. Maybe the film shooters start ahead of time and just scan one in per day.

I think this is definitely best to push it back to October and have it run for the month. This would have the added benefit of allowing film users to get their head start. Or maybe that whole "solution" doesn't sit well with the fillum users. I'm just thinking aloud here.

Of course, the film shooters could shoot film for whatever they like, but use a digital for one photo per day as well.

Just noticed this thread after posting about a potential challenge brainstorming over at Mu-43.com - I'd be down for either format (single camera/lens, just a photo-a-day, set of prompts) but my vote would be for a list of prompts again like we did in May. I thought it was very stimulating to have a goal in mind as I went out to shoot.

Like Luke I don't think film shooters should be separated. They don't get a 100% keeper ratio any more than digital shooters do so it's unlikely they will upload an entire roll at once. Have to remember that while not all photos we upload are portfolio quality, there is a general level of artistry that people want to present. Multi uploads only seemed to happen toward the end of the challenge when everyone wanted to make sure their images got in on time. It wasn't film related. It was due to the list of challenges that had to be fulfilled, people holding out hoping they would get better and finally needing to upload.

there is a fair amount of different discussions going on about the type of challenge people are imagining or planning. And to a certain extent, everyone kind of imagines it in their own way.

I have no intentions of "running" this one as I did for the prompts challenge. I just don't have the time and I may not partake at all (but I'll know better by the time October gets here). The mod associated details of the challenge are easy and I'll be happy to do that stuff, but it may help to figure out exactly what type of challenge you all want.....and when I say you all, I mean a majority. Some people may very likely not be excited about the final specifics. I would hope (and suggest) that even if you think it's not for you, you don't quit before it starts. A little challenge is good. And there's nothing wrong with missing a day or two here and there. There's nothing wrong with quitting.....at least you can say that you tried.

So I'll start pushing you in defining what challenge you want by starting a poll tomorrow. It seems like the main ideas are (1) a prompt per day like May (but only with 30 prompts) (2) a simple photo per day with no restrictions....relax and shoot (3) a single camera/single lens challenge like Jan (4) something else.

suggest any other ideas anyone has in a loose brainstorming fashion and I'll check in 12-18 hours and start an "official" poll.

I think this is definitely best to push it back to October and have it run for the month.

Or we could be really radical and run from, say, the 20th of September to the 20th of October.

But really, I'll be in with whatever the majority decide. I simply welcome the opportunity to apply some discipline to my shooting.

I would love the opportunity to shoot for a month with one theme.

If you do PAD, is it POSTING a pic a day, or TAKING a pic a day. That is, in the former, could it be earlier shots, or from another day prior?

Sounds like a plan to me.

Everyone chime in with any other ideas until tomorrow, when Luke will post an official poll.

Thanks Luke!

So I'll start pushing you in defining what challenge you want by starting a poll tomorrow. It seems like the main ideas are (1) a prompt per day like May (but only with 30 prompts) (2) a simple photo per day with no restrictions....relax and shoot (3) a single camera/single lens challenge like Jan (4) something else.

suggest any other ideas anyone has in a loose brainstorming fashion and I'll check in 12-18 hours and start an "official" poll.

Steve....we'll have a poll soon. So please vote there to have your voice heard.....wt21, a PAD is about forcing to TAKE a photo a day. There's nothing terribly challenging about posting a photo per day.;)

And yes, Bruce, there will be some sort of announcement when the challenge has been sorted out. Tentatively it will start on October 1st (although I love Pelao's slightly subversive suggestion to run from the 20 to the 20th). I think knowing a bit about group behavior, it'll take some time to get the kinks worked out.

A photo a day, total 30 for 30 days, post when you can [to allow for processing or film developing] but try not to flood the gallery all at once and any camera + lens, film or digital. Those wanting to use only one lens on one camera, go for it. Those wanting to mix it up, go for it. Just another get out and do it exercise, no pressure. That's my 2+ cents. Oh and Kyle you started this ;) If you want to do the guiding after Luke helps to set it up, I'll offer assistance if you need.

Maybe to follow up to Kristen's excellent idea......there's no reason it can't be all things to all people.

it starts as a basic PAD.....30 photos in 30 days. People who WANT to limit themselves to a single focal length or a single can do so, and further we could submit a list of 30 "prompts" for those who like the treasure hunt aspect (and others could use them for inspiration when they're stumped)

Back