Pentax Anyone used a small DSLR for street photography?

Don't forget the X100 has an LCD screen, too, Ray.

I really have no right to comment about street photography, unless in my at home/vacation/friend's homes/restaurants world can count as a kind of street, per se.

I really have no right to comment about street photography, unless in my at home/vacation/friend's homes/restaurants world can count as a kind of street, per se.

Hey BB, don't worry - to me street photography is heavily related the area of candids. I hope I use the term candid correctly, the way I understand it, it means something like: taking photos of people going about their everyday lives or actions naturally, and where possible with the subjects not knowing they're being photographer so as not to alter their behaviour.

To me street photography is just candid photography but taken in the public domain (specifically on streets). So I guess you'll be able to relate to this area atleast a little, although not necessarily on 'streets'. In this day and age I guess there's a kind of paranoia or stigma which takes it's hold on photographers once you move out onto the street in the public domain as opposed to at home/friends homes and restaurants.

It's actually very intersting that you mention vacation, because a lot of vacation photos are street photography photos. I guess that non of us hesitate taking photos on streets on vacation, but at times we (well atleast I do) think twice about taking photos in our home countries. I guess this just shows that being confident in street photography, is kind of in our heads. In saying this it also depends a little on whether you're taking photos of family/friends on holiday or strangers lol.

Hope this all makes sense, I'm kind of thinking out loud now (it's 4am and I've had my head fried by essay writing and revision all day lol)

Well, Vince...I'm going to put on my "parental unit" hat and say - you need more sleep! I need a wagging finger smiley.;)

I think you do pretty darn well with your thought processes at 4am! And hear where you're coming loud and clear.(y)

Of course it does, it just that the LCD screen doesn't make it different than any one of a number of other cameras. The OVF does. The silent operation does too, to a lesser extent. If I'm going to shoot primarily with the LCD screen, I'd use the Nex because of the tilt. And if not for that I'd use the gf1. And if I wanted to shoot in hyperfocal and shoot from the hip, I'd use the LX5. But not to worry, I'm already seeing many strengths in the X-100 - I'm just not sure if street shooting is one of them. For me...

-Ray

Right - I understand what you're saying, Ray. We all have our own distinct ways of approaching cameras and the photographs we make with them. Chacun à son goût, vive la différence! :drinks:

Back