Micro 4/3 Anyone using the Oly EM_D E-M5 with 40 - 150 f2.8 Pro for nature or Birds

BillN

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill
Anyone using the Oly EM_D E-M5 with 40 - 150 f2.8 Pr0

Thinking about getting this as an addition to my "birding" kit

Does anyone use it for similar - if so it would be great to have your comments

Also it can come bundled with the 14 42 and 40 150mm "kit" lens - are these any good

or the Panasonic 100 300mm lens

what's the camera like at High ISO's?

(I have the original 14 42 etc)

Hmm, there has been an absence of birds around my place since the mail man delivered by Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 on Thursday. I did manage to capture a butterfly and a small aircraft with my first test play if that helps.

I am using it with an Olympus OM-D E-M5 and it is a good match.

For birding, if you can get close enough it would be fine but doesn't really have the reach. I have ordered the MC-14 which is in short supply as are the kits with it included. This will extend the range which will help.

My main interest is indoor shots of musicians and I go to a number of events each year where I will be able to make good use of he camera which is why I got it.

As for the OM-D E-M5, it is fine at higher ISO, well up to ISO3200 provided you get the exposure right. I don't mind a bit of noise with indoor music shots and I don't find it excessive at ISO3200. This would be less desirable for birding when there is a lot of shade but I know an fellow doing outstanding birding photos with a Nikon 1 system camera and the EM-5 is streets ahead of that.

If you are looking at a 100-300 or 75-300 then I would recommend the 100-300 panasonic as from what I can see (And testing) the Panny is slightly sharper. Panasonic lenses seem to work really well on Oly bodies.

Back