Anyone want to join in another challenge - "The Single in...."?

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
Mark
:polling:

I'm just polling at this point - as I've not cleared this with the Mods nor am I sure whether it's doable on the SC site. Again I just thought I'd gauge interest first as this one needs discipline.....great I just lost half the crowd with half a sentence :tomato2:

So I'm simply rehashing something that I started elsewhere and still has a lot of momentum to this day. The idea is called "Single in...." - in this case "Single in July".

The rules are simple:
-Choose one lens (or non-interchangeable lens camera)
-Take pictures with your chosen kit item each day and upload one of them to a "Single in ..." area
- Do this every day for the whole month

Sounds easy huh?

Just for background, I devised this as a cure for LBA/GAS, so folks had to stick with and really get to know a single bit of kit. Not sure how successful it was at that - especially witnessing what a certain camera and lens could consistently produce ...in the hands of others :blush:, but it did build up a little community of folks who reunited with the concept of gathering light through their images.....rather than gathering dust through their equipment.

So what do you reckon?

NB: since this challenge now has some history a list of FAQs has been compiled over the years. So happy to field any questions.

no, but seriously ... I think I'd have a go if I wasn't still aiming to complete a year in my PAD blog, so you have my spiritual if not corporeal support until then ... it is a good idea, if not as an antidote for shopping, then definitely for "forcing" one to really think about shooting ... if I go out walking or whatever, I will often take just one prime, and it really promotes looking carefully ...
[I expect I lost you in the first sentence though ?]

[I expect I lost you in the first sentence though ?]
You're so wrong mate, you had me at "hello"...:love:

...so you have my spiritual if not corporeal support until then ... it is a good idea, if not as an antidote for shopping, then definitely for "forcing" one to really think about shooting ... if I go out walking or whatever, I will often take just one prime, and it really promotes looking carefully ...

You've hit the nail square on the head! And you're spot on this is a pared down version of photo-a-day with the small restriction of doing it with one camera/lens combo. So very similar to Mike Johnston's "Leica as Teacher" challenge - living a year with nothing but a single non-metered M body with one lens, and one film.

Mark,
Lay out your ideas and we'll get it posted and get it running.
It's a good idea...pm me if you need assistance or any moderation/admin work...
Thank You.... Don

Mark,
Lay out your ideas and we'll get it posted and get it running.
It's a good idea...pm me if you need assistance or any moderation/admin work...
Thank You.... Don
Champion! Thanks Don. Will send through when I return from work tonight - so in about 12 hours :doh:

Count me in!
EXCELLENT! Great news Briar!

It's a go-go!

OK gang, looks like a green light for the Single in July - thanks so much to Don (Streetshooter) and BB for their help with this.

So we're going to do it as a "Single in July" Gallery; which Don will create on 1 July. All you need do is post your daily offering in that gallery with sequential titling - so July 1 will be called "SIJ1"...July 15 = "SIJ15"...July 31 = "SIJ31". The gallery is a great option as it allows us to comment on each other's work. However, any further talk on the challenge, or to whine about how hard it is :drama:, should be reserved for this thread.

History shows that it is challenging enough to take a photo a day....for those who doubt me then please do hop on board and see how you feel about Day 20 :crying:....so we found that folks normally opt to upload a few days worth at a single hit. Also this gives you time to do whatever PP you might desire - as the only stipulation is that you take a photo each day not that it is PP and loaded all in that 24 hour period.

So only 5 days to go folks. Please let me know if there are any questions - and please post them on this thread and not via PM as I'm sure if it's hazy for you there's at least one other person out there scratching their head about the same thing.

I promise you it will be hard, but I can also guarantee it will be rewarding - as a valuable lesson about your kit or yourself sits waiting at the end of the month.

Excellent Mark and I am extremely appreciative of the PP "layover" so that we don't actually have to post each day - though we do need to make a photograph each day.

I'm going to try my hardest. I think.:D

That's the spirit BB!!...well if you could just edit out the "I think" closing caveat, then we'll certainly be seeing and congratulating you come Day 31 ;)

I would like to have a go - but I'm on holiday for just over two weeks, from tomorrow, - my uploads will depend on me getting an internet connection - so they maybe be a little spasmodic

Back