Anyone Watching Euro 2020?

The English team was in many phases dominant and pressing hard. There were not many football events on this level where both teams played such a fast and offensive football. The only thing that put me off completely: the penalty. What do they make video-proofs for if they are not used? This penalty was not justified and unfair to the Danes. Apart from that the referee was one of the best in this Euro.
Yeah, agreed. Were it a clean goal with no more effort I would be extra unhappy with the penalty, but I thought it added some interest with Schmeichel's great save on Kane's first shot, but failing to keep a hold of the ball and Kane's lightning fast second shot. Bad call, but really exciting penalty shot.

All we were shown on replays of the penalty itself were angles that made it very hard to tell how much contact there was. Good ref the rest of the time, but I blame it on the VAR reviewers. I can see from the ref pov it looked worse than it was, but they consulted the VAR and should have done more than just uphold the initial decision with its limited information.

I only watched sporadically in bits and pieces but watched the whole final today. Fun game. But, honestly, I hate when a game gets decided on Penalty kicks in so-called shootouts. My own take: England had both energy and luck in the opening, and the Italians were in trouble. But Italy wound up being by far the better team in the 2nd half and also during the 1st overtime period. In the 2nd period, England partially redeemed itself with some inspired play but overall, it felt like another grinding defensive struggle between 2 teams whose managers favored a style designed not so much to take chances and try to win - but rather to play conservatively and try not to lose.

Sigh. Having said that, Italy gets special props for playing a number of rather old player who were every bit as skilled and energetic and the players 10 and 15 years younger than them. Both keepers get credit for some inventive and inspired saves. And, personally, I thought England's biggest mistake was not to put Jack Grealish into the game much sooner. He clearly is a gifted and inventive player - whose skills at times seem magical, and remind one not merely of today's wizards (Messi, Ronaldo, et alii), but specifically of some of the football wizards of yesteryear, like the legendary Johan Cruyff. I'm not saying Grealish is necessarily that good - but in his limited time on the pitch, he showed flashes of inspiration and creativity.

Only one thing to do, however, after this game --- to raise a pint of good English ale - and then follow it up with a small good aperitivo Italiano - as a tribute to both teams!

I feel like my early prediction was fairly accurate: I thought England could win on strategy, but Italy would outplay them with energy and possession. Where England ceased to be in control was not conceding the goal, but in allowing Italy so much possession and not pressing their patience. There was a point where Italy was getting carded heavily and about to come apart trying to wrest back possession... But then England let them have it, and Italian enthusiasm never converted into panic.

And rashford was totally in his own head with that missed penalty shot. Those last minute English replacements were a bad idea. So, in all reality, it was England's strategizing that was their downfall. White-knuckled game and tournament in general, however! Now I'm happy to ease up on soccer until the World Cup next year!

Back