Anyone Watching Euro 2020?

I want to laugh at Hungary scoring against Germany 30 seconds after Germany equalised and at the French losing, but won't. Because there's every possibility England are going to get booted out tomorrow themselves.

Ask my wife.... 😄 I've been watching as many games as I can. England's games have been pretty poor to be frank. I don't know how the tabloid press gets so gung-ho about performances that seemed laboured and uninspired. I think we'll lose against Germany tonight. The games yesterday were both fabulous (France v Switzerland and Spain v Croatia) and although I was hoping Croatia would win that game I was very pleased for Alvaro Morata to score. That poor guy has had some horrendous abuse for his lack of scoring. Anyway, my favourite game so far was Denmark thrashing Russia. The sheer emotion from the crowd was quite something to see and hear and it brought home quite how weird football has been for the last year with empty stadiums.

Ask my wife.... 😄 I've been watching as many games as I can. England's games have been pretty poor to be frank. I don't know how the tabloid press gets so gung-ho about performances that seemed laboured and uninspired. I think we'll lose against Germany tonight. The games yesterday were both fabulous (France v Switzerland and Spain v Croatia) and although I was hoping Croatia would win that game I was very pleased for Alvaro Morata to score. That poor guy has had some horrendous abuse for his lack of scoring. Anyway, my favourite game so far was Denmark thrashing Russia. The sheer emotion from the crowd was quite something to see and hear and it brought home quite how weird football has been for the last year with empty stadiums.
Yes, my wife and I were both really rooting for Croatia and were shouting at the screen some last night when we were able to sit down and watch the recorded game. They are such an interesting and endearing team to watch play, but the problem with Croatia is that they are hugely inconsistent from one game to another. I can't work out halfway into the game which game they'll bring, and it makes them a harrowing team to root for. I must say, Spain brought it, they came alive and played some of the best football I've seen in a long time, if they hadn't been on fire Croatia would have still had a chance.

And I agree, Denmark/Russia was superb! I am on to rooting 100% for Denmark, though I am very interested to see the England/Germany game.

Well, how about that? A glorious victory, as tentatively predicted earlier (England 2, Germany 0)

Now watch us get kicked out by Sweden or Ukraine in the quarter finals.

-R
Amazingly England didn't play half badly. The defence looked really solid. I still think we need a decent winger who takes on the full back instead of always cutting into the middle.

I had to avoid this thread while I caught up on a couple games, including England/Germany. Great game! I agree, England plays very indifferent to possession, which is harrowing to watch if you're rooting for them. In the end several of their players did very well, including Kane and Stirling, especially the latter player. Very satisfying game, but I'm nervous about their next!

France/Switzerland was a nail biter, poor Mbappé! He's really the only french player I genuinely like, that must have been a rough moment missing his penalty.

I've been telling my partner that historically it normally plays out that we have (unrealistically) high hopes for England before a tournament. Look at the players we've got etc. Then there's a sobering collision with reality during the group stage, when it turns out that our players have only recently been introduced to one another and they're all tired after a long domestic season. Then in the knockout stages we have a glorious victory against one of the favourite sides, which we will talk about for the next thirty years. Then in the next game some minor team boots us out.

So hopefully we will get a glorious victory against Germany at least. Unless it goes to penalties (German players practice taking penalties before a tournament, which is considered unsporting over here).

-R
Congratlations to the English team, they've made it. And very clever, indeed. Too harmless and without ideas and heartblood the German team, so it serves them right. Looking forward to the rest of the competition with highly motivated teams left.

I had to avoid this thread while I caught up on a couple games, including England/Germany. Great game! I agree, England plays very indifferent to possession, which is harrowing to watch if you're rooting for them. In the end several of their players did very well, including Kane and Stirling, especially the latter player. Very satisfying game, but I'm nervous about their next!

France/Switzerland was a nail biter, poor Mbappé! He's really the only french player I genuinely like, that must have been a rough moment missing his penalty.
Poor Mbappe, exactly. I can’t understand why Deschamps put him to shoot. You could sense the angst and nervousness from the couch. And everyone I’ve talk to says the same. But France and Netherlands were not true to the game and for some reasons didn’t focus on winning. So the results are in that sense right, although surprise

Did anyone catch that story about the French players’ families arguing with each other in the stand during the Switzerland match as to which of their sons/ siblings was to blame? Amazing stuff.

Poor Mbappe, exactly. I can’t understand why Deschamps put him to shoot. You could sense the angst and nervousness from the couch. And everyone I’ve talk to says the same. But France and Netherlands were not true to the game and for some reasons didn’t focus on winning. So the results are in that sense right, although surprise
He had also strained or overextended himself earlier, and was showing the pain in his face. It was a rotten note to end on, kind of took the joy out of watching France get it handed to them.

Well, Italy have demonstrated that they’re the best team in the tournament so if you have some distant Italian relationship in the bloodline from four generations ago, one’s the time to start mentioning your heritage.

so I can enjoy them without getting stressed.
Always the way, the match days not involving England are great and stress free…until England’s match day arrives then the horrible anxiety starts.

I didn't have any preferences on the Switzerland vs Spain, but in the end my sympathies were for the reds, but not for Rojas. They fought their way to penalties, but surprisingly weak penalty shots then by the Swiss. In the end, both teams have played well and Spain certainly is a bit higher quality team.

On the other match of the evening then, my heart have always been for Les Diables Rouges. It's a pity that from the top teams they suffered most from the injuries. They could only occasionally play on the magical level they are capable. I don't fancy Italian ballerinas but must admit this year they have strong team playing enjoyable football. I just wish someone stops them before the 🏆

Did anyone catch that story about the French players’ families arguing with each other in the stand during the Switzerland match as to which of their sons/ siblings was to blame? Amazing stuff.
Yes, but having my kids in the French school and watching the adults for more than ten years from the close distance I'm not surprised 😁 And it shouldn't been taken too serious.

I didn't have any preferences on the Switzerland vs Spain, but in the end my sympathies were for the reds, but not for Rojas. They fought their way to penalties, but surprisingly weak penalty shots then by the Swiss. In the end, both teams have played well and Spain certainly is a bit higher quality team.

On the other match of the evening then, my heart have always been for Les Diables Rouges. It's a pity that from the top teams they suffered most from the injuries. They could only occasionally play on the magical level they are capable. I don't fancy Italian ballerinas but must admit this year they have strong team playing enjoyable football. I just wish someone stops them before the 🏆
It was a sad end for the Swiss, Sommer did an amazing job all game defending his net, but the penalties were lopsided and strange. I did not feel bad.for the rest of the Swiss game, but I felt for the goaltender. They leaned on his skill all game and then fumbled their penalty shots on the Spanish goal to boot.

Upsets for both games! I wouldn't have predicted either outcome, but that was some good soccer. But I would like to see the prima donna Italians knocked down a peg. Italy/Spain coming up, there's an interesting matchup with how these teams have played their last few games.

On to Denmark's game tomorrow, and then England!

A big football evening in our house - Czech Republic (that's her lot) against Denmark, followed by England (my lot) against Ukraine.

I think England will have the easier game of the two, but we shall see. This is about the time in the tournament we traditionally get chucked out.

-R

Back