Anyone Watching Euro 2020?

And then there were three ...

I enjoyed the game between Italy and Spain, and I particularly enjoyed the way it went to extra time and penalties, seeing as England may have to face the winner in a few days. If we get past Denmark tomorrow (which won't be easy), hopefully Italy will be still recovering from today's game by the time we play them in the final.

-R

I'd like to see either England or Denmarknwin it over Italy, unfortunately only one of them can progress to the finals... Rooting for Denmark as it was a childhood favourite holiday destination.

Italy has played well throughout the tournament and I did not expect it to take extra time, let alone penalties, for them to win. But, they pulled it off and are in the final.

Looking forward to tomorrow’s game - no preference on a winner, just wanting to see a good match.

It would be nice to see Denmark win it all, but an Italy/England final sounds ultra tasty!

Glad to see Italy win today because I'm looking forward to watching England stomp them into the ground ... < whistles innocently >
I favored Italy winning because I think they've been playing weaker than Spain lately, even though they're the team with the better stats. But the few Italian games I've seen this tournament lead me to think England's more deliberate and tactical play style could come out on top. If Denmark are matched against Italy I think Italy might win, because I think the speed and enthusiasm Spain has brought the last couple games are very similar to the way Denmark has played. And we watched Italy withstand that speed and raw enthusiasm pretty well, without flagging, this last match.

Of course, Spain has no one like Damsgaard just running pell-mell and making good shots over and over again tirelessly until getting worn out and replaced in the second half. Hahah.

This phase is a kind of sad one in the tournaments when only one team is qualified. And all of them have developed and grown together. There aren't any of my first tier favourites left, obviously Finland being the biggest of them all, but being in the tournament was an achievement for us.

Ita vs Esp was very thrilling, and to my eyes Spain was a bit more active. The quality of Spanish attacks in the last 30 meters made the difference. Or the lack of. Italy was clinical in the scoring chance they got, including penalties. Jorginho's penalty was something I respect, high risk, high reward, and when successful you don't only win the game you make the loser look 👀 eh, funny? 🤣

But, still, I keep my fingers and toes crossed for either Danes or England to beat the hell out of them for what Italy did for my favourite Belgium 🤞🏻

Last edited:
Italy and Spain showed us why the Germans are out: offensive playing over all the 120 minutes at high risk but with so much heartblood. I find the outcome OK considering the many missed opportunities and extremely poor finishes of the Spanish.
As to the final: no preferences. Just the wish to see a fantastic game.

In some ways last night's game was just what you'd expect. Loads of possession for Spain for little reward and stubborn defence from Italy with a bit of counter-attacking. I was surprised that Spain got the equaliser tbh. Both sides looked shattered by the end of 120 minutes so let's hope England can see off the Danes within the 90.

Neither of our goals was great, to be honest (in fact one wasn't even ours, strictly speaking), whereas the Danish free kick was top-notch. One of the best goals of the tournament I thought.

But I think England were pushing harder than Denmark for most of the game and the result is a fair reflection of the encounter. Sorry to see Denmark go out, but happy to see my team through to the final.

-R

Just finished the recorded game, that was a white-knuckled 120 minutes! Really, really good playing on both sides, but I think England has a much better chance of beating Italy. They're simply better at strategy, and they forced Denmark to play strategic during the first half, which they did well for a while. But I knew Denmark's energy would eventually flag because I've watched it in the previous games. Sterling was like lightning all the way up to the last minute. Virtually everyone on England was still going strong. That's necessary to beat Italy.

The English team was in many phases dominant and pressing hard. There were not many football events on this level where both teams played such a fast and offensive football. The only thing that put me off completely: the penalty. What do they make video-proofs for if they are not used? This penalty was not justified and unfair to the Danes. Apart from that the referee was one of the best in this Euro.

Back