News AP Makes Exclusive Deal with Sony

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
Does the AP issue their own gear to their photographers or does each bring their own kit? 🤔
Given the information in the article, it sounds like the equipment is supplied. Of course they must have their own stuff as well, but maybe official assignments can only be done with the official equipment.

Another piece:
This explains it a bit more. They wanted the stills side to go mirrorless and have better integration with the video side. The primary kit will be the A9 ii with 4-5 lenses. 😎 As the article points out, the upgrades in the A9 ii were mainly aimed at photojournalists who needed good connectivity to move images quickly. Apparently, they convinced AP.

Does the AP issue their own gear to their photographers or does each bring their own kit? 🤔
AP supplies a standard kit.

25 years ago, Kodak made a custom Digital camera for AP, the Kodak NC-2000. It was about $11,000 for the body.
I suspect the Sony kit cost much less, not counting inflation.

Sony needs to tweak both their in-camera and mobile software. For example you can't convert raw images in-camera, nor can you import raw images via their mobile app. You have to shoot raw+jpeg or all jpeg.

Last edited:
AP supplies a standard kit.

25 years ago, Kodak made a custom Digital camera for AP, the Kodak NC-2000. It was about $11,000 for the body.
I suspect the Sony kit cost much less, not counting inflation.
I’ve seen that model or something similar at the Newseum.

Last edited:
Sony needs to tweak their both their in-camera and mobile software. For example you can't convert raw images in-camera, nor can you import raw images via their mobile app. You have to shoot raw+jpeg or all jpeg.
Maybe this will push them to make certain changes, which can trickle down to the rest of us.

Apparently the a9 II also is the first Sony mirrorless to have convincing weather sealing... Would love to see that trickle down.

And indeed, the current app is pretty useless with its inability to transfer raw files...

I’ve seen that model or Something thing similar at the Newseum.
I bought a dead one off Ebay to part out to repair a DCS420- got it for $75 or so.

I still have the older DCS200ir, first COTS Full-Spectrum camera sold. As in the very first one sold. They made it for me. $11,400 for the body.

Maybe this will push them to make certain changes, which can trickle down to the rest of us.

It's those little details Sony forgets to address. For example on the A7III, auto-ISO goes from 1/250th and then 1/500th when it comes to selecting shutter speeds. They totally skip 1/320th which is just fast enough to stop most running/jumping action. I'm like why did they skip that speed, for no particular reason?

Mirrorless makes sense when you want to reduce noise and for a lot of other reasons. After listening to the chatter of DSLRs at pressers, it's no wonder they haven't already been banned at Whitehouse.

I wonder though: why not waterproof the heck out of the RX10 Mk4 and use that? Than you have ALL the focal lengths, blinding fast autofocus and stills and video in one light, nimble package. And you never have to change lenses.

Of course, I AM prejudiced.

Maybe one of the tech mavens here can calculate what size sensor you need to exceed the performance of 35mm film of yore. IMHO, that would be good enough for all practical applications.

Cheers, Jock

Last edited:
It's those little details Sony forgets to address. For example on the A7III, auto-ISO goes from 1/250th and then 1/500th when it comes to selecting shutter speeds. They totally skip 1/320th which is just fast enough to stop most running/jumping action. I'm like why did they skip that speed, for no particular reason?
The A7Siii has completely new menus. I wonder it that could be passed along via firmware? I swear the current menus group settings by how much milliamperes they use.

Back