Apparently this is where the party’s at!

Greetings! After some long absence from the mu-43 forum due to change systems I came back last week and discovered things had… changed. I’ll still happily get involved there, but there were so many passionate recommendations for this place as once of the remaining bastions of that forum’s family atmosphere that I figured I’d jump in over here as well!

I’m a split system user right now, mostly shooting Sony FF for my hobby documenting my life in the military and helping people at work out with portraits etc. I’ve always had a Fuji X100 series camera as well for a “always on me” option. I’ve recently picked up an Olympus EM5.3 as well, since the FF setup is a bit chunky for travel, but the Fuji stuff has never really been what I needed for ultra compact either, and the new compact pro lenses that are coming out are really what I was looking for in MFT all these years anyway. Either way, delighted to be aboard!

It's sad, considering what things were just a year or two ago, but I've mostly abandoned that other place now. The loss of many contributors (or at least contributions, due to the ToS), the skimmed redirects of posted links, and the marked increase in "Oops, your page didn't load, try refresh" messages is just making it not worth the scrolling effort anymore. Throw in that the admins (not the mods) disappear in a cloud of ninja smoke for weeks at a time, and it sure feels like the Borg have arrived. The new owners have been doing a great job at building a community...at Camaraderie!

Thanks all!

This sounds like the perfect spot for you. As a fellow multi-system user (M43 and FujiX) and a long-time participant (off and on) at Mu-43, it's really nice to be able to share images without worrying about what camera it happened to be taken with.

- K
That's true! Though (at least back in the day) they were very supportive of my efforts to talk about my Leica M, Fuji X, and MFT work. That was one of the big draws there, it was more of a photo family and less of a rabid fandom like other forums.
It's sad, considering what things were just a year or two ago, but I've mostly abandoned that other place now. The loss of many contributors (or at least contributions, due to the ToS), the skimmed redirects of posted links, and the marked increase in "Oops, your page didn't load, try refresh" messages is just making it not worth the scrolling effort anymore. Throw in that the admins (not the mods) disappear in a cloud of ninja smoke for weeks at a time, and it sure feels like the Borg have arrived. The new owners have been doing a great job at building a community...at Camaraderie!
It really seems like a good spot! I can't wait to plant some roots here.

Welcome 11GTCS! I'm looking forward to seeing some shots. Documenting your life in the military sounds interesting, may I ask who what where?
Certainly! I'm in the Air Force, and I just sort of realized that my unit was always looking for photos of things that I happened to be at, so I sort of fell into doing photos for promotions, retirements, etc. That led to occasionally being asked to do some photos for the base when Public Affairs couldn't spare personnel. I'm currently doing a TDY as the Chief of Engineering for contracted construction on base, so a lot of my photos have to do with that. Here are a few I've taken recently!

forwardeplymentbrief_002219.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

duststorm_002296.jpg

marworkphotos_002452.jpg

marworkphotos_002485.jpg

20feb22_002241-sharpen-motion.jpg

Yup
Nice photos! Hard to pick a favourite, I like all of them. Is it a base abroad you're working at?
Thanks! Yes, I’m abroad in a sandy place. It’s a ton of fun to document life here. It’s just such an alien experience for most people, and it’s a very fleeting sort of existence (most of my friends and I go our separate ways every few years or so), so documenting it is important to me.

Yup

Thanks! Yes, I’m abroad in a sandy place. It’s a ton of fun to document life here. It’s just such an alien experience for most people, and it’s a very fleeting sort of existence (most of my friends and I go our separate ways every few years or so), so documenting it is important to me.
I can imagine! Have you been in the Airforce for long?

It's obviously very different, but I found backpacking around little visited parts of the world a big adventure, and in those kind of places you form friendships with any fellow travellers you meet almost instantly, but the fleeting nature of it can become a downside after some time. Having solid roots in one place, and travelling with a fixed travel companion by your side, has its advantages too.

It'll be interesting to see your photos.

I'm from an Air Force a long time ago, seems like a galaxy far far away... been many changes over the decades.

Back