Fuji Apple Support for X-Trans Now Available

flysurfer

Hall of Famer
I already mentioned that Fuji has been working with Apple to provide good X-Trans support. As of today, Apple Camera Raw (4.05) is supporting the X-Pro1, X-E1, X100S and X20. My initial tests have shown outstanding results. Of course, this needs quite some further testing to reach a definitive conclusion.

This is encouraging. Any thing that could potentially help me come to grips with XTrans RAWs would be useful. Not only am I a Fuji XTrans newbie, I'm also an iMac newbie having only switched about a month ago...this update, is it for a standalone program/app already within every iMac or is it only for Aperture ??

New to Mac and never used Aperture so just trying to place this.

Thank you.

This is encouraging. Any thing that could potentially help me come to grips with XTrans RAWs would be useful. Not only am I a Fuji XTrans newbie, I'm also an iMac newbie having only switched about a month ago...this update, is it for a standalone program/app already within every iMac or is it only for Aperture ??

New to Mac and never used Aperture so just trying to place this.

Thank you.

Apple's Digital Camera RAW Compatability Update 4.0.5 adds RAW support for Apple's photo editing apps. This includes iPhoto and Aperture.

Aperture does not come preloaded with your new iMac. However, iPhoto does.

Enjoy!

On par with Lightroom 4.4. Maybe partly better. I prefer it over C1.

People are posting pictures showing big CA/purple fringing as well as coor bleeding in the Apple version versus none from Adobe's. On the other hand it seems that the colors are richer out of the box.

People are posting pictures showing big CA/purple fringing as well as coor bleeding in the Apple version versus none from Adobe's. On the other hand it seems that the colors are richer out of the box.

I think this is a modified DCRAW algorithm. There was always speculation that Apple Camera Raw is based on DCRAW, aynway.
That's why the X10 seems to be partly supported, too (unofficially).

So now that some people have taken a test drive with it, what are the pitfalls of running Apple's Automator to create a whole bunch of TIFFs from RAFs?

I still like LR for more creative non-pixel peeping stuff, but would like a good starting point.

I have found that both Aperture and C1 are less intuitive for me to permanently switch to.

Aperture is doing a decent job along with the new Apple Camera Raw. Here's an OOC JPEG:

8659764772_b2e124b694_c.jpg

Here's the default RAW conversion in Aperture:

8659765490_572fdda4d0_c.jpg

My RAW conversion in Aperture:

8658660949_c8500e7d26_c.jpg

I still prefer Lightroom for my RAW conversions, though, as it offers better control of CAs, among other things. That may change once Apple releases the next version of Aperture.

Apart from pixel peeping, there are a few important practical aspects to consider when using Apple Camera Raw with X-Trans sensor cameras:

• In principle, Apple Camera Raw and Aperture are a useful and capable RAW conversion combo to "rescue" problematic X-Trans shots with plenty of dynamic range and other issues.
  • With Apple Camera Raw, it's recommended to shoot and process RAW files in DR100%. While it is somewhat possible to work with DR200%/DR400% RAW files in Aperture, you will run out of luck in Apple iPhoto, as this software is simply lacking the necessary sliders and functions.
  • Apple Camera Raw automatically applies digital lens distortion correction based on metadata in the RAW file. However, it doesn't apply any de-vignetting.

I will elaborate on these points in tomorrow's X-Pert Corner.

Back