Leica April 24th: Leica T announcement?

More Leica T type 701 mirrorless camera pictures leaked online
New pictures ot the Leica T. Has aluminum unibody just like your MacBook Pro!

Leica-T-type-701-mirrorless-camera1.jpg

Leica-T-type-701-mirrorless-camera-5.jpg

Looking more like the reality. The looks aren't grabbing me.

Stereo mic ports, right and left of the top port. So video capability.

Maybe my feelings will change, but unlike the X Vario not much that would me want to pick it up and shoot with it.

A Summicron 23mm f2 will be a 34.5mm lens on an aps-c sensor, so it's essentially a fast 35 like the Fuji X100/s. Nice and compact, by all appearances. Looks like it has Sony Tri-Navi style control dials on the back. It would be nice it if had a tilting screen, focus peaking and magnification, but we shall see.

But what is this peculiar body design? Don't tell me that it's a totally smooth metal body with a separate leather half case? What's the bet that it is released only in chrome for the first batch, and then a black version comes out in another 6-9 months.

It looks to me similar to nex-3/5 series with the nex-7 tri-navi. Even the lens changing button is at the same place and comes with 16MP (Sony?) apsc sensor. I guess you need a leather case to hold it or third party leatherette skins...

I refuse to believe its real. Why would Leica take a step back from the X1/X2 and X-Vario? Looks suspiciously like a Samsung to me.

I guess I was wrong then...

It appears that the M mount adapter has the capability to read the 6-bit code on Leica lenses. I'm curious if this means that the camera will automatically apply software correction to coded M lenses. I am also curious as to how good the new viewfinder is and how it connects to the body, as it is hard to see where the connection is.

Once you get past the initial shock, it does not look bad at all.

Cheers,

Antonio

On another forum, I posited that the dissonance many Leica users feel about the T is that it doesn't have the M body's DNA. It's a time-tested design that many associate with Leica. This is a big jump away from the traditional design and into a realm populated by many earlier arrivals. From the looks of it, functions are selected on the touchscreen (T) and the dual dials change the settings. It's like it combines smartphone design with a modern camera. Very untraditional for Leica, but I guess they are after new markets and more revenue streams.

If this is a real aps-c M-mount solution it might sway me from getting a Sony A7 or A6000. At least the adapter seems to recognize coding, which means that they are still catering to those who own M lenses. Something that made me buy the Ricoh GXR-M was for the feeling of manual focusing RF lenses, and I ended up using it even more than my M9 due to the much smaller and less expensive body and excellent ergonomics and interface. The T might be a good step in that direction. With any luck they will have a compact and fast 50mm equivalent, too.

Now it looks more like Samsung nx200. They say the adapter will communicate coded lenses to the camera so it will do the correction. Sb in Canada has already did that as a Sony nex adapter, but it wasn't full blown supported by the camera manufacturers. The viewfinder connection is same as the flash like other mirrorless cameras, so you cannot use external flash at the same time.

I see that they posted first hands-on:
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2014/04/leica-t-test/

If this is a real aps-c M-mount solution it might sway me from getting a Sony A7 or A6000. At least the adapter seems to recognize coding, which means that they are still catering to those who own M lenses. Something that made me buy the Ricoh GXR-M was for the feeling of manual focusing RF lenses, and I ended up using it even more than my M9 due to the much smaller and less expensive body and excellent ergonomics and interface. The T might be a good step in that direction. With any luck they will have a compact and fast 50mm equivalent, too.

If the camera is set up to apply the appropriate correction to M lenses based on the 6 bit code, and focus peaking (or any other manual focus aid) works well, this could be a sweet second body for an M lens collection. Set it to Aperture Priority, assign aperture to one dial and exposure comp to the other one, and it should be an efficient shooter.

Looks wise, I would have preferred something along the lines of the X-Vario, but it actually looks nicer than the original leaked photo led me to believe.

I only hope that 18mm and 21mm lenses play nice with the sensor.

Cheers,

Antonio

Those native t-lenses look more like the new Panny Leica 30mm for m4/3, than M-mount lenses. I hope focusing with those T lenses has a more tactile feel than the focusing with the PL 25 & 45. I'm curious to see which demographic adopts this new system (i.e. existing m users, P&S upgraders, etc.).

As I just remarked over on SC, my first impressions are that it seems pretty darn good. I'm not going to talk about prices because that is a very individual thing. Just finished looking at Steve Huff's video and reading his review.

Though I'm certainly not sending in an order now, I will remain focussed on the feedback and reviews here and on other sites to come. Am assuming (though we know how foolish assumptions can be) that one can make one of the two dials control exposure compensation.

Thanks for those links!!

As I am reading, I've gotten my controls questions answered by Jono:
The two dials function depending on the Mode chosen:
P mode - the left dial is user configurable (and sticky) the right dial is program shift
A mode - the left dial is user configurable (and sticky) the right dial is Aperture
S mode - the left dial is user configurable (and sticky) the right dial is Shutter Speed
M mode - the left dial is Aperture, the right dial Shutter speed

This varies slightly with M lenses attached via the adapter, more about that later.
Configuring the left hand dial is done simply by tapping it’s icon and choosing from a list.

Although I have never had the pleasure of meeting him, I am 100% sure that I agree with you Bill. I've always enjoyed his writings and remember he used to post from time to time over on Serious Compacts way back when, if I'm not mistaken.

Back