Leica April 24th: Leica T announcement?

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
It seems that there could be something new coming...Rumors: Leica T type 701 mirrorless camera to be announced on April 24th - Leica Rumors
Leica sent out invitations for a "special highlight" event on April 24th. If you are a LeicaRumors reader, this should not be a surprise because few months ago I already reported that the long awaited Leica T type 701 mirrorless camera will be announced in April. The new camera is expected to have an APS-C sensor and will mostly likely be produced in Germany, while some of the lenses could be made in Asia.

Read more on LeicaRumors.com: Rumors: Leica T type 701 mirrorless camera to be announced on April 24th - Leica Rumors

I've read some speculations about this camera and am not really sure where the "T" comes in, but that's what people seem to be calling it.

(If this has already been brought up, please delete this thread.)

The only Leica I have ever owned was the Leica X1. Personally, I'd love to have something along the X's lines with more options. I loved the size of the camera, thought the image quality was excellent and that what controls there were were well done. I'd go for a built in EVF - and if they could throw in an OVF that would be great and then keep the price down to below $2000 for the camera and one great lens.;)

I hope it's German and built to the quality level of the X line. Compatibility with M lenses (via adapter would be fine) would be a huge plus for me. APS-H (instead of C) would be great as well.

It seems that there could be something new coming...Rumors: Leica T type 701 mirrorless camera to be announced on April 24th - Leica Rumors

I've read some speculations about this camera and am not really sure where the "T" comes in, but that's what people seem to be calling it.

(If this has already been brought up, please delete this thread.)

The only Leica I have ever owned was the Leica X1. Personally, I'd love to have something along the X's lines with more options. I loved the size of the camera, thought the image quality was excellent and that what controls there were were well done. I'd go for a built in EVF - and if they could throw in an OVF that would be great and then keep the price down to below $2000 for the camera and one great lens.;)

the name "T" comes from here...

New Leica T type 701 camera coming soon - Leica Rumors

they also have a post with some potential pictures of the camera (i hope they're fake)

Antonio and Kingsfan thanks to you both for chiming in on this.

I know that the "T" is mentioned in the press release, however I am wondering what it stands for. Time will tell!

A "Leica T".

Well, they are not reviving the Konica T series...

Maybe a Digital "Vitessa T", Deckel mount Digital...

I would like to see a mirrorless version of the M Type 240, using the same sensor, and with M-Mount. Many people use Leica glass on the Sony, but the sensor does not have the advantage of the microlens design and chip layout of the CMOSIS sensor to handle the short distance from sensor to the rear of wide-angle lenses.

From what I've read, and what I think would make sense, an APS-C (sorry, guessing not APS-H) mirrorless. I'll figure EVF as an add on, though I wish it was built-in.

I think this first one in that series is a Panasonic body, with a focus on German Leica lenses. I'll bet auto-focus, but with excellent manual focus support, same as the X Vario. Later, there'll be a German body that anyone with the T mount lenses will splurge for.

First Panasonic camera body - $1000-1500. Lenses, well that's what Leica wants to make the real money on, and they won't be cheap.

If it's a Panasonic Body, than most likely will be u43- unless Panasonic wants to get into a larger sensor under a Leica name. We'll know in a month or so...Always fun to speculate.

If its under $1000, APS-C or larger and equal in form and function to a NEX7 I may get one. If not, used NEX7 prices are dropping and actually so are M8 prices.

leicarumors.com: Another picture of the Leica T type 701 camera
Leica-T-type-701-camera-with-M-lens-adapter.jpg

The new mirrorless solution from Leica will be an APS-C based interchangeable lens system camera with AF and without a rangefinder (it will probably have an optional EVF). The body will be made in Germany and it will be very solid built with a special new/unique design/production process.

Read more on LeicaRumors.com: Leica T type 701 camera: what do we know so far? - Leica Rumors

if that's real, i have no reason to leave m43

I'm in the same boat. I already have the PL 25 and 45 and I'm looking at maybe picking up the new PL 30 in the future. I was really hoping that the "T" was going to be a leica m4/3 body, I would have been fine with a rebadged GX7. Unless the "T" does something really special, I can't see myself dumping my m4/3 gear for the new T.

OK, I'm now guessing much like the X Vario, but with interchangeable auto-focus lenses. Probably will take M-mount with an adapter, too. To further distinguish it from the X Vario, a silver variety.

I'd be surprised if there was a viewfinder built-in. Instead probably the Leica/Olympus viewfinder, not a bad viewfinder ...

Back