Fuji APS-C with a good fixed zoom...

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
...in a small package - will Fuji ever make one? The only existing one that I'm aware of is the oft maligned but also enjoyed by many Leica X-Vario. I've never seen one in real life and don't want to get into a Leica bashing discussion.

Is there a camera that exists like this and if not, do we think Fuji might make one?

Of course "small package" is a rather broad term. I'm thinking small as in coat pocket at least...preferably smaller. Maybe about the size of the RX100? As for "good zoom", personally I'd like it to start at 24mm in 35mm terms.:th_salute:

Nope, not for me. Too big and too clunky. Plus, I have the X10 which for my purposes probably is more than adequate sensor wise. This is just me wanting a smaller "better" camera. I also really, really like the straightforward controls - you know aperture, shutter, easy access to ISO and EV +-...no menu diving.

I think that request would be really pushing against what is technologically possible right know. As bartjeej states, I think the G1X is the closest to that right now - the RX100 is a smaller sensor than even m43. To get even a 24-70mm zoom range (which is relatively modest) on an APS-C sensor I'm guessing the camera is going to at least be as big as the G1X unless you're ok with a very slow zoom. I would suspect that the size of the Leica Vario is probably the size you'd be looking at, which is no where near an RX100.

Fujirumors recently reported that Fuji was working on a 1" sensor zoom compact to succeed the X20.

Btw, X-M1/X-A1 plus kit zoom are quite small and lightweight.

My thanks to you both. Yes, I have read extensively about the Leica X Vario and it does seem as though that size is what it pretty much has to be - it's the lens that makes it so.

I hear you, Rico and I await your announcement with keen interest!

The G1X is it, albeit it is merely APS-Cish rather than APS-C. I'm sure the body could be shrunk a little here and there, but the size, handling and controls of the G1X is, IMHO, one of it's best assets. Some of the very best pixel-level detail from a camera I've seen as well. Shame about the awful viewfinder and typical Canon-spec dynamic range.

For what it's worth, I briefly owned an X-Vario. I compared it against the Fuji E-X1 with 18-55mm. I could not detect any better resolution/sharpness on the Leica when compared for the same test shots.

There may be other measures that the Leica wins with in comparison (contrast?). A rudimentary look at bokeh didn't discern much of a difference in quality.

The X-E1 with 18-55mm has great OIS.
The X-E1 with 18-55mm is a considerably faster pairing than the Leica
The X-E1 has a decent EVF built in.
I couldn't find a level indicator in the Leica.
The Leica wasn't much smaller.

The Leica *did* have a much nicer control and menuing approach, and felt nicer in my opinion.

I just couldn't see paying $2850 for those however, when the X-E1 offered so much more with (to me) the same image quality. Disappointed, I shipped the X-Vario back for refund. I really wanted to like the Leica, and I did, but not so holistically better than the X-E1 that I could justify the $2850 to myself.

You know, I am just going to stick with my wonderful X100 and soon I'll have the 28mm wide angle adapter... I have never had a complaint about the X100 or it's sibling the X10. I'll just leave the long shots to someone else - for now.

That said, I appreciate the suggestions!

Not a zoom, but I suspect the upcoming Sony RX-10 could be an APS-C sized bi-focal (Tri-Elmar style) camera; i.e. with a fixed, dual focal lens covering say 28 & 50mm.

At least that's what I'd do if I were Sony, in order to keep their innovative pace and dodge the nearest competitors - Ricoh GR and Nikon Coolpix A.

Oh, it wasn't that is was BIG, just bigger than I assumed it was going to be. I should also note that at the same store I saw a Ricoh GR for the first time and all the commentary on it being a "pocket camera" had me thinking that it was also smaller than it turned out to be in real life.

APS-C with a good fixed zoom...in a small package - will Fuji ever make one? The only existing one that I'm aware of is the oft maligned but also enjoyed by many Leica X-Vario. I've never seen one in real life and don't want to get into a Leica bashing discussion
I am ready to see one or more APS-C (or generally bigger that it used to be) fixed zoom "compacts" from various makers, but I can't imagine a truly pocketable "good zoom". There are some optically fine small zooms for bigger sensors, but I don't think they can indeed be said good and for sure they have to have small maximum apertures.

Back